Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

She won't stop wasting my shampoo

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 104 Replies
My step daughter is 12 and likes to use my shampoo. She doesn't know how to just use a small amount, she pours out way to much and the same with the conditioner. We can go through an entire bottle of shampoo and conditioner in a weekend and she has short hair! The bottles are both almost 17 ounces, there is no way we should be going through it that quickly.

The stuff I use is kinda expensive, its 8 dollars a bottle and although it may not sound like a lot to some of you to me it is. That's my one splurge and I can't afford to keep buying it so often because she wastes it.

I've tried explaining she only needs a quarter size amount. I've also bought her several different brands of shampoo and conditioner for her to use from cheap stuff to some that costs 4 bucks a bottle but for some reason she wants to use mine. I've also tried hiding my stuff, first in the bathroom and she would find it and use it and then in the bedroom but she complained to my husband and he says its childish to hide the shampoo from her. And while I admit it is, it's the fact that its expensive and I can't afford to buy two new bottles every time she comes over.

Any other ideas? I wouldn't mind if she didn't waste it but i can make a bottle of shampoo last 6-8 weeks and a bottle of conditioner last 4-6 weeks and when she uses it I have to buy 2-3 bottles of each every month. Its ridiculous and wasteful.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Molz09
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM
I'd make her but her own. She'll find out real quick how little she really needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM
3 moms liked this

take it out of the bathroom anyway. if she wants to go through bottles of shampoo, her dad can buy it separately, since its not a big deal to him.

adrianasmommy07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM
16 moms liked this
Get two empty travel size shampoo bottles from the store and fill them for her from your stuff. Make it special for her. If she is still using too much, the next time fill it up only part way with the right amount per day.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this

With DS, I used to use a travel-sized shampoo bottle so he wouldn't overuse it. Now I have it in a soap dispenser and told him "two squirts is all you need." No problems wasting it.

I would just fill up (or fill it halfway, whatever you want) a travel-sized shampoo and conditioner bottle for SD each time she is there and tell her - that's all she gets for that weekend, so use it wisely.

EAzizM
by Erica on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

8 dollars is not that bad BUT I would keep hiding it OR get an empty bottle and only put enough for one wash. Put enough for one wash when she gets there, then fill it up again after each shower. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:01 AM
4 moms liked this

Tell DH that it is YOUR shampoo and you have every damn right to hide it - and she has NO right to be going into your room regardless of whose house it is. If he insists on allowing her to use it, I would get one of those super tiny bottles and pour a tiny bit amount of each into 2 bottles and tell her that's her allocated lot for the weekend and if she uses it all in one go - oh well.

pamelam20
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Maybe get 2 travel size bottles and fill those up for her use when she's there?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaybayblee3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:02 AM
21 moms liked this

Switch the shampoo. Put the cheap shit in your bottles and hide the good stuff.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:02 AM
That's a great idea, I hadn't thought of that. I will try that this weekend.

Quoting adrianasmommy07: Get two empty travel size shampoo bottles from the store and fill them for her from your stuff. Make it special for her. If she is still using too much, the next time fill it up only part way with the right amount per day.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Put the stuff you use in the bathroom.  Then when she goes through it, tell her you can't afford more until next month.  The rest of the month keep the cheap stuff in the bathroom and let everyone think that's all there is.  But have back ups of the good stuff hidden in your bedroom.  Don't let on to your hubby either.  It sucks to have to do that, but it's better than having her go through them every single weekend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN