Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone with Scalp Psoriasis please read

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 4:29 AM
  • 13 Replies
I'm pretty sure, 95% sure my sister has scalp psoriasis. I was doing her hair and what we thought was bad dandruff from the dry weather is getting worse, she has a reddish sore in one spot from where she scratch. If you have it and use over the counter treatment, what do you use that works best? I found Dermarest Psoriasis at walmart while looking online for treatment without a prescription. She is 21 so she is an adult and does not need children's meds. Getting her to go to the Dr. is harder then pulling teeth from a rabid wolf. So if you can direct me to a good affordable over the counter shampoo please!!
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 4:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Scarlet_begonia
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 4:33 AM
Research Dead Sea Salts. They actually have a comprehensive selection for scalp and psoriasis on the body. I have both, and it's a life saver. They actually have resorts there that people use the sea for relief...
Scarlet_begonia
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 4:34 AM
1 mom liked this
By the way, you do get what you pay for lol
mommieof1b4g
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 4:38 AM
Awesome! Thank you! I get it on my elbows so i will look into this for me as well. I cant stand the itching when it flares up.

Quoting Scarlet_begonia: Research Dead Sea Salts. They actually have a comprehensive selection for scalp and psoriasis on the body. I have both, and it's a life saver. They actually have resorts there that people use the sea for relief...
supergasper
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 4:41 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd has psoriasis, and for her scalp she was prescribed a shampoo with coal tar in it.  There might be coal tar shampoos available over the counter.  I'm not not really sure.  

Scarlet_begonia
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 4:47 AM
1 mom liked this
You're welcome! It's.. annoying would be an understatement lol. There are different companies but i have found it is way more effective than stuff sold in stores. If it's serious, there's really no alternative than the derm but i avoid that at all costs lol

Quoting mommieof1b4g: Awesome! Thank you! I get it on my elbows so i will look into this for me as well. I cant stand the itching when it flares up.

Quoting Scarlet_begonia: Research Dead Sea Salts. They actually have a comprehensive selection for scalp and psoriasis on the body. I have both, and it's a life saver. They actually have resorts there that people use the sea for relief...
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 4:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I had it and needed Betaderm for it
Scarlet_begonia
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 4:50 AM
2 moms liked this
Also, with scalp psoriasis try coconut oil. Massage it in, wait about 15-20 minutes, and use a comb on the scalp. Best solution actually temporarily

Quoting Scarlet_begonia: You're welcome! It's.. annoying would be an understatement lol. There are different companies but i have found it is way more effective than stuff sold in stores. If it's serious, there's really no alternative than the derm but i avoid that at all costs lol

Quoting mommieof1b4g: Awesome! Thank you! I get it on my elbows so i will look into this for me as well. I cant stand the itching when it flares up.

mommieof1b4g
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 4:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Ok i will get some when i get paid. It has been itching her really bed, so even temp relief helps

Quoting Scarlet_begonia: Also, with scalp psoriasis try coconut oil. Massage it in, wait about 15-20 minutes, and use a comb on the scalp. Best solution actually temporarily

Quoting Scarlet_begonia: You're welcome! It's.. annoying would be an understatement lol. There are different companies but i have found it is way more effective than stuff sold in stores. If it's serious, there's really no alternative than the derm but i avoid that at all costs lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 7, 2014 at 5:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Cutting back on washing it too often helps- it dries the scalp out more, which can cause a flare up.

Coal tar shampoos (T-Gel is over the counter, and I know Walgreens has a knock off brand that works just the same) helps.

Fish Oil & Vitamin D taken daily can lessen flare ups. Humidifiers, too- if her skin is dry (winter is especially bad- cold air outside, and dry heat inside), it's more likely to itch and cause issues.

Massaging oils into her scalp can help lock in moisture, and loosen scaley skin.

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 5:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I have seborrheic dermatitis which is a little like psoriasis and my Dr gave me ketaconzole shampoo it's an anti fungal and I think you can get a lesser dose OTC. The OTC stuff is called nizoral ad.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)