Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is "healthy eating" to you?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 55 Replies

If you do or were to eat healthy, what does/would that look like? A vegetarian diet? Vegan? Paleo? Primal? A diet diet like Weight Watchers or South Beach? Whole foods? Raw foods? Juicing? Following the USDA food pyramid? A certain culture's diet, like Mediterranean? High/low/moderate carbs/protein/fat/sugar? Anything/everything in moderation?

I'm just curious because there are so many different opinions on what "healthy" looks like.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bakerytreatz16
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this
In general, a diet that is well balanced and provides the proper amounts of nutrients.

For myself, a well balanced, low carb/high protein diet. I'm a type one diabetic, so my diet is essential in controlling my
Blood sugar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:08 AM
For me its intermittent fasting.

For my son its eating minimal processed food and lots of fruit and veggies. Doesn't always happen but I don't stress about it.
B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this

A balanced diet - whole grain carbs, lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats and other proteins, nuts, beans, etc. Limit refined sugars and processed foods, limit eating out, limit alcohol and caffeine (all these things are fine in moderation, but your body can only handle so much before the effects are negative).

JayTee80
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I eat high protein, low carb, low sodium.  Lots of organic veggies, unsweeteened greek yogurt, organic eggs and meat products.  I don't eat a lot of processed foods because I don't prefer them and don't keep them in the house, however I'm not crazy about it.  If I am out somewhere and they put out chips and dip or other foods, I am fine eating those.  I have a sensitive system so I eat very simply, and when I eat crap, I feel like crap.  My one vice is diet soda though.  I try to be moderate about it but don't always do so well. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:10 AM
No sugar, no wheat, no legumes, no dairy

Pretty strict paleo, with treats every once in awhile
QueenBof6
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Lean meats,lots of fruits and veggies and whole grains. We try to stay away from white carbs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM

For ME its steamed or grilled veggies, baked fish, grilled meat, dark leafy greens,  raw vegs. fresh fruits.

Everyone's idea of "healthy" varies. For us it's eating in moderation and eating food in its real form.

davnrori
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:17 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm an 'everything in moderation' type of person. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, lean meats, and grains. I don't stress if I want a small piece of cake or some chips. I go to the gym daily so, I'm good.

tinybluemoon
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I'm a recovering cibophobe, and as a consequence of that I largely eat very healthly. I mainly eat fruit and green vegetables, chicken breast, white fish,rice, couscous, clear soups and nuts. I only use vinger,soy and oyster sauce for flavoring.

I don't eat dairy, very little bread, no pasta or patatoes and I'm only now after years starting to eat things that come from a packet. 

Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

To me, healthy eating equals sustainable eating. For me personally, that means everything in moderation, not depriving myself of anything, not going overboard with anything.

I don't deny myself a piece of cake or some junk food when I want it, but I also don't eat that for every meal of every day. I don't eat a lot of meat, because I don't know how to prepare it at all, and my fiance is a vegetarian, but when I feel like having some steak or chicken, I order it.

Because of my profession, I know where different nutrients can be found and I do my best to eat a variety of different foods, but I don't waste any time at all thinking about how much of which one I had on any given day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)