Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ladies who are good at grocery shopping...FS question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

I am not looking for criticism here.  I am looking for advice.  We recently fell on hard times and had to resort to applying for and being approved for food stamps.  I have always been ok at grocery shopping and we cook good meals for our 2 children every night with the exception of an occasional pizza or chinese food order.  

My question is would it be smarter to buy mostly meat with our FS since that is what is the most expensive and then when we run out of money, we only have to buy sides and stuff to go with it?  Or, should we just go grocery shopping like normal and buy what we need for dinners until they run out and then have to buy full meals with our own cash.

PS...we both have always worked and could afford our children and our bills before now. So no bashing please!  We would like to be off of assistance within 6 months...hopefully my husband can find another job soon.  He just got laid off :(

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roo1234
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Meal plan. Consider incorporating meatless meals into your rotation to cut costs.
P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Basic pantry items and plan meals out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Make meal plans and buy the meat first. Buy in bulk, its cheaper and u can repackage before freezing in ziplock bags. I buy 10lbs of hamburger and repackage in 1lb zip lock bags.
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Full grocery shopping and buy what you need after the fact just have lots of staples for when it is lean at the end of the month.

wonderstruck11
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM

We always did two big shopping trips a month and bought enough food to last at least 2 weeks. We bought the meat at the same time as everything else, and used our FS first and then paid for whatever we had left. FS usualy covered most of it, because I bought generic brands and looked for deals.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Some of both. When you get approved you should have enough money on your card not to worry about it.
ilovemykids323
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM

I would just go grocery shopping like normal. we dont eat a lot of meat around here... ground hamberger and chicken are usually it.

pwaldschmidt
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM
I meal plan and spend about $450 a month for a family of 5 and we rarely go out to eat. Maybe once a month.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM
I go to Costco and buy my sides n such in bulk. My pantry is filled and I don't need to buy much. They last for awhile. Then I would buy meat weekly after planning out our dinners. Since my df switched to nights I'm not really cooking full dinners like I did when he was home by 6. So my money/food lasts a bit longer lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:13 PM
I would buy the staples first.....rice, beans, flour, canned tomatoes, oatmeal, pasta, etc. Things you can use to make different meals. Onions, potatoes next and some frozen veggies. Then large packs af meat you can break down and freeze. Ground beef, chicken, etc. Dairy next and lastly fresh fruits and veggies. But that's just how I would do it based on how I cook.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN