Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a career in helping people but with no degree

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
And no current option to get a degree.

What would my options be? I'm open for any age group, young or old.

I'm 25, female (obviously lol), worked customer service years ago and two years ago, I worked at a electrical company for a year. Outta work ever since.

I do have an associate degree in computer aided design and staying through itt-tech, but I don't remember anything I learned and what I did learn doesn't really mean crap. Teachers pushed us along, even if we didn't do the work
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Drafting, not staying. Sry
o.O....
by Cara on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:13 AM
I just got a job as a 911 dispatcher. Can you type?
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:14 AM
hha? (Home health aide)?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:16 AM
I think I'm pretty good. I haven't really been tested, like how many words I can type in a minute. Is there a requirement? Who would I contact about a job like that?

Quoting o.O....: I just got a job as a 911 dispatcher. Can you type?
o.O....
by Cara on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Check your state and county websites for position openings.

Quoting Anonymous: I think I'm pretty good. I haven't really been tested, like how many words I can type in a minute. Is there a requirement? Who would I contact about a job like that?

Quoting o.O....: I just got a job as a 911 dispatcher. Can you type?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Wouldn't I need like a nursing degree or something like that?

I am thinking of going to the nursing homes around here, but I'm not ready sure what the requirements are, but I figured dropping off my resume wouldn't hurt anything

Quoting thefiregoddess: hha? (Home health aide)?
stephiebugg
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:18 AM

I work in a group home for developmentally disabled adults. It can be tough, but it's helping people in the most basic sense. They provide paid training. As long as you don't have any abuse charges on your record, you could get a job. Starting rate here is anywhere from $9 to $15 to start, depending on where you work.
It's not a job everyone can do, though.
Along the same lines, CNA work. Working in a nursing home can be challenging, but they also train you and the pay isn't too bad.

stephiebugg
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Many nursing homes around here certify their staff. You apply for the certification program, get through that and you have a job there. Your certification is good no matter where you go, but since they certify you, you may be required to work for them for a year or whatever. That's how it was when I was a CNA back in 2001-2003

Quoting Anonymous: Wouldn't I need like a nursing degree or something like that?

I am thinking of going to the nursing homes around here, but I'm not ready sure what the requirements are, but I figured dropping off my resume wouldn't hurt anything

Quoting thefiregoddess: hha? (Home health aide)?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:19 AM
You could be a CNA with a little training. Or a caregiver; don't need a license for that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:20 AM
Direct care worker in a group home for developmentally disabled adults?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)