Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I be annoyed or not?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Okay; so my DD12 HATES eating lunch at school. She claims that she isn't hungry. I make her take a lunch daily anyway (just so that the school knows she has something) and the pediatrian says it's normal in kids her age and her weight/height is still normal - and it's not a battle that she personally thinks is worth dying on. DD's teacher however feels differently. She's decided that from this semester that DD will miss out on recess if she refuses to eat. DD eats well (and healthily) at home and never complains about being 'too hungry' when she gets home. She also seems to have a pretty good self esteem/confidence level. DD says she doesn't really CARE if she misses recess because all she does is walk around with her friends, but I just find it ridiculious. When DD told me what the teacher had decided, I rung her and asked to explain her side; she says that it's proven that kids don't concentrate if they're hungry, they get naughty, loud, grumpy, tired etc. Which I do agree with - but not in my DD's case. She's also asked if I would be willing to come down to the school and embarrass DD into eating. Ugh. I said to the teacher "So, what time do you have lunch?" She told me she has lunch at approximetely 12pm. I said "Awesome. I'm going to come down and force you to eat at about 10.30 - how does that sound?" She replied that she wouldn't eat it because she wouldn't be hungry at 10.30am..... Facedesk. We've got a beginning of year meeting tomorrow, so I'll be bringing this up again in person, but what would you do?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:03 AM
I'd be pissed. A twelve year old is capable of making the decision to eat or not eat.
And even if she weren't, it's not her teachers place to make her eat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
texansmommy
Bump!
nelliesmommy
I would be annoyed also.
SleepingBeautee
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:04 AM

I would get a note from her doctor... you have already talked to him about it... and tell the teacher to shove it. She is 12 not 5. If the teacher doesn't relent, then I would go to the principal.

Bonnie_
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:05 AM

I would tell her to worry about what goes  on in the classroom  and not the lunchroom.  Then I would tell her if she didn't  leave my kid alone I would call the action  news and make  it  known  she was harassing  my child  publicly!

Tyrneathem
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd probably take the snarky route and go to school, make a huge production of unpacking my lunch, and reveal a grape... which I would carefully cut into little pieces and split with my daughter. The teacher doesn't seem to get very obvious statements, though, so it would probably just be for my own amusement.
PeppermintyTea
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:07 AM
I'd send my kid in with lunch, encourage them to eat at least some or maybe pack a snack style lunch to see if that's more appealing. Of course I'd leave it up to my kid as long as she's healthy otherwise, she can't force herself to eat if she's not hungry. The teacher sounds like a real gem, good luck with the meeting.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:10 AM

Go to the school and shove a banana down the Teachers throat at 10:30am and make her eat every bite. Then I would tell her that my DD will have recess if she eats lunch or not and if she valued her job she won't mess with me and she better leave my child alone

MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:10 AM

I would be irritated. What she is doing is looking for a power trip. My dd is almost four and sometimes she eats lunch and sometimes she doesn't. Her teacher offers her lunch, then offers a snack I send and if she wants neither life goes on. My four year old is big enough to say if she is hungry or not, your dd is more than capable of deciding if she wants to eat or not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:11 AM

Get a doctors note excusing your daughter from having to eat lunch if she chooses not to. Maybe your daughter could eat a small snack just so she eats something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)