Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Root canal/pain/ fear of dentist

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
Several years ago I had a root canal. Then a year later had to have it redone because all of the root wasn't cleaned out the first time. All in all I spent 4k with crown. Now I woke up in pain again with a gross taste in my mouth. I hate the dentist and am terrified to go back :(
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
barrelracer1699
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Gross taste is most likely an infection. If they did the second root canal correctly that tooth will not be the cause of your pain. But as I was told the nerves are all so close and run together that you may think it is that one. There is nothing to be afraid of. Worse comes to worse if you are that anxious about it see if they can give you some valium or gas.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:53 AM

You know what's worse than the dentist?

Having an infection spread from your tooth to your jaw and sinuses and possibly kill you.  People don't realize how quickly an infection in that area can prove fatal!

I had a wisdom tooth that got infected.  In the morning, I felt an ache.  3 hours later, my whole face and neck was swollen.  I got to the dentist and they ripped that sucker out ASAP and I was on very strong antibiotics for 2 weeks.  If I'd waited another few hours I'd have been septic in the ER fighting for my life.

Just go get checked.  If you feel your first dentist didn't do a good job, shop around for a new one.  Not all dentists are created equal.  The one who pulled my infected tooth didn't even ASK about money or payment, he told me to come in, rushed me to the back, and basically saved my life, then called 3 days later to work out finances because it was THAT important to him to get me care.  My other dentist was going to charge crazy 'emergency fees' and couldn't see me for another 8 hours.  Yeah, I switched and I adore my new dental care team.  Nothing ever hurts, they get it right the first time every time, and they are flexible about payment options if something NEEDS to be done.

Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:53 AM
I think it is an infection :( my dentist told me that most root canals eventually need to be pulled because you can't ever really get rid of the bacteria in the tooth. But he retired so I have to find someone new :(

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Gross taste is most likely an infection. If they did the second root canal correctly that tooth will not be the cause of your pain. But as I was told the nerves are all so close and run together that you may think it is that one. There is nothing to be afraid of. Worse comes to worse if you are that anxious about it see if they can give you some valium or gas.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:55 AM
Omg!!! I had no idea. I will find a new dentist today

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Having an infection spread from your tooth to your jaw and sinuses and possibly kill you.  People don't realize how quickly an infection in that area can prove fatal!

I had a wisdom tooth that got infected.  In the morning, I felt an ache.  3 hours later, my whole face and neck was swollen.  I got to the dentist and they ripped that sucker out ASAP and I was on very strong antibiotics for 2 weeks.  If I'd waited another few hours I'd have been septic in the ER fighting for my life.

Just go get checked.  If you feel your first dentist didn't do a good job, shop around for a new one.  Not all dentists are created equal.  The one who pulled my infected tooth didn't even ASK about money or payment, he told me to come in, rushed me to the back, and basically saved my life, then called 3 days later to work out finances because it was THAT important to him to get me care.  My other dentist was going to charge crazy 'emergency fees' and couldn't see me for another 8 hours.  Yeah, I switched and I adore my new dental care team.  Nothing ever hurts, they get it right the first time every time, and they are flexible about payment options if something NEEDS to be done.

Good luck!

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Yes, I hate to scare you but it is serious.  So many people just don't realize, but you have these big empty cavities (sinuses) right next to vital parts of your brain, and if bacteria gets up in there it's very serious.  And many major lymphnodes are located in the neck, and if bacteria oozes down that way the infection can get out of hand quickly.  Always get pain and bad tastes like that checked out ASAP.  Even if you choose not to get a procedure done today, you can get started on antibiotics to clear you up while you decide the best options.

Please update when you get to see the dentist?

Quoting Anonymous: Omg!!! I had no idea. I will find a new dentist today

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Just got home. Ended up being a gum infection. I'm on antibiotics and am going I next week for a complete exam :)

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Yes, I hate to scare you but it is serious.  So many people just don't realize, but you have these big empty cavities (sinuses) right next to vital parts of your brain, and if bacteria gets up in there it's very serious.  And many major lymphnodes are located in the neck, and if bacteria oozes down that way the infection can get out of hand quickly.  Always get pain and bad tastes like that checked out ASAP.  Even if you choose not to get a procedure done today, you can get started on antibiotics to clear you up while you decide the best options.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Good luck!

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I'm glad you got in.  Hopefully you start to feel better quickly!

Quoting Anonymous: Just got home. Ended up being a gum infection. I'm on antibiotics and am going I next week for a complete exam :)

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I have a huge fear of the dentist, but I am more afraid of getting a secondary infection that can be fatal. I chose sedation dentistry. OMG! Night and day. With cleanings or fillings I get some gas, anything that is bigger or deeper than that and I get a zanax.  So much better. Also, talk with your dentist, build a rappor with them. Once you trust them it really does make things better. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM
That is exactly what we discussed today. I'm going in for a full exam with nitrous in a few weeks ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a huge fear of the dentist, but I am more afraid of getting a secondary infection that can be fatal. I chose sedation dentistry. OMG! Night and day. With cleanings or fillings I get some gas, anything that is bigger or deeper than that and I get a zanax.  So much better. Also, talk with your dentist, build a rappor with them. Once you trust them it really does make things better. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)