Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No DD you can NOT get a job!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies

My 15 year old DD wants me to sign off for her to get her workers permit. I told her no. My reason is that she is not doing that great in school. Either she needs to spend more time on it her own or we can get her a tutor either way school comes first. I told her to get her grades up and keep them up and I would sign off for her to get her permit. 

Now she is so mad and saying I am preventing her from having a good future because now she wont have work experience and blah blah blah 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:50 AM

She'll get over it.  :P  

Sparkler16
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you. At that age her job is school and that comes first. She needs to understand that you do care about her future which is exactly why you won't let her work until her grades are up.
shygurl3166
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:53 AM
Lol work experience means nothing if she doesn't graduate.
PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:53 AM

I agree with you.

A job at 15 is not a necessity but school is. 

Remind her that her "future" will be MORE impacted by how well she'll do in school.

Give her a time-frame to work in to bring the grades up and keep them up and then readdress the question of her working a part-time job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:54 AM
You can get a job here at 14 without parents okay. I didn't get a job until after i graduated. Other than babysitting.
momoftwoboys12
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:55 AM
I totally agree with you. What's the point in letting her work if she can't even keep up with school. Explain to her that she could have all the work experience but without an education she won't have a career. Also where I live if you can't keep your grades up her job can fire her until she brings them up
Chibee
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:55 AM

She's 15...she'll get over it. 

LetoLiebe
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:57 AM

You're doing the right thing mum....hang in there:) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:58 AM
lol oh my.. Teens are funny. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Education will help her get a better future not working a minimum wage job..
Serabeth06
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Tell her to treat school like her job. If she wants to prove she can actually do a job, she needs to get a high school education first. If she can't get good grades, tell her she's not likely to keep a job, which reflects worse on her than no work experience and shitty grades.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)