Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O If one of your kids was responsible for the accidental death of another of your children....would you be able to forgive him

Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

A few years ago my friends 17 year old son was backing out of the driveway and didn't realize his 2 year old brother was behind the car.  The little boy died three days later.  It all happened so quick.  The 2 year old was outside with the 15 year old sister who had stepped into the garage to grab a toy when it all happened.  So many things went wrong here.

When I was in elementary a friend of mine was rough housing with his brother who was only about a year older than him.  My friend jumped on his brothers back, his brother knocked him off, and my friend fell and hit the fireplace and was killed instantly. 

A co-workers two sons were playing outside at the ages of 13 and 11.  They still aren't sure exactly what happened but the 13 year old fell through a window and sliced his neck.  The 11 year old is 14 now and hasn't said one word since it happened.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by The Major on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:36 AM
How horrific. I can't even imagine. I can't possibly picture it because I only have one child so who knows how I'd react.
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow, incredibly tragic, but they were all accidents. I wouldn't need to forgive them because they didn't purposefully harm their sibling. I would work for the rest of my days assuring them that they were loved and that no one blamed them.
There was a singer whose son backed over their small daughter after she ran behind the car. I know that they have publicly said they don't blame him and while they miss their daughter they choose to celebrate her life rather than focus on her tragic death. I am pretty sure that is how I would handle it.
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:41 AM

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:44 AM
I think it would be hard but it's an accident and the child that caused the accident would need you then more than ever. I'm sure the guilt is unbearable

The same thing happened to my husband's brother when he was 2 except it was his dad who accidentally backed over him. It's heartbreaking
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:58 AM
I don't even know how I'd handle something like that.
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:05 AM
I'm sure I'd have some amount of blame that I placed on the child. But I'd never voice that guilt or act on it. I would also feel guilty myself for allowing it to happen. And sympathy for my child still living.

I'm sure many more emotions as well. But I can't deny that I'd want something to blame. I can't pretend that that need would foreshadow the sympathy for my living child. We have a instinctual need to protect our young. The emotions that arose from the failure to do so are unpredictable.
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Yes! I would be forever heartbroken. But if one of my kids killed their sibling on accident, they would beat themselves up forever. I'd have to grieve one child and comfort the other.
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I dunno those are some very tragic events. Even worse when caused by children and it is not intentional  ya know. I think more trauma is caused by the kid that happen to be the one that killed their sibling... As parents we grieve in the worse way when a child is lost....

I think this is worse kind....

by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:17 AM
I would blame myself more than I blamed my child.
by Kat on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Aw... what sad stories! There is no question I would forgive (I wouldn't hold it against them anyway!) and try to help my child to live with whatever had happened.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)