Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

12 year old with unexplained weight loss..

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:34 AM
  • 18 Replies
My 12 yr old son has lost almost 20 lbs since October. When we signed him up for football he weighed 76 lbs. He's also very short for his age, (4ft, 5") so he always looked a little chunky. But as of Sunday night, he weighs 62 lbs, his ribs are showing, cheek bones are sticking out and dark circles under his eyes. He's never really complained to me about anything in particular, other than stomach aches here and there, headaches and sometimes body cramps (which I thought could be growing pains), so I'm at a loss on what is going on. I called the Dr first thing Monday morning, and we're scheduled to go in today at 9:45. I'm trying not to think of the worst, that my son will be totally fine and pretty much came on here for you wonderful ladies to tell me it's common at the pre-teen age to go through this... I'm just really hoping that's all it is.
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Katkinson
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:36 AM

I know girls typically go through a chunky stage around that age then slim down.  Sorry I can't help you more. 

deputygirls28
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:37 AM
I bet he's fine. I had the same thing happen when I was a junior in high school. I dropped from 140 to 115 very quickly. My mom had me start keeping track of my weight but we never found out why. Yes, I went and had tests done but I was perfectly healthy. I still to this day don't know why or how it happened. I'm sure he's fine. Just breathe and DO NOT GOOGLE!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
buttercup627
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:38 AM
Has he grown taller? It could have been a growth spurt that stretched out his chub and leaned him out. Good luck today
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Has he been running a fever?  My DS just had a nasty bout with the stomach flu- terrible aches and pains and he lost a lot of weight.  He had dark circles under his eyes but he was running a fever almost the entire time.  Good luck at the doctor's.  

Lilmama217
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:40 AM
Thank you! It does help since he's my oldest. I know a lot can go on in the teenage years so I'm almost prepared.. lol

Quoting Katkinson:

I know girls typically go through a chunky stage around that age then slim down.  Sorry I can't help you more. 

Lilmama217
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Lol at Google! I did already but hearing actual stories is my preference. Thanks for telling me yours. I don't mind him going through those changes, as long he's fine too.

Quoting deputygirls28: I bet he's fine. I had the same thing happen when I was a junior in high school. I dropped from 140 to 115 very quickly. My mom had me start keeping track of my weight but we never found out why. Yes, I went and had tests done but I was perfectly healthy. I still to this day don't know why or how it happened. I'm sure he's fine. Just breathe and DO NOT GOOGLE!!!
Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:44 AM
How are his eating habits? Many people make the mistake of assuming only girls get eating disorders. If he is involved in team sports now he is under a lot of peer pressure. Just keep an eye on it and bring it up at the doctor's appointment.
Lilmama217
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:46 AM
Only 1/2". He hasn't gotten any taller really than last school year. He's the shortest one in his class which he hates: /

Quoting buttercup627: Has he grown taller? It could have been a growth spurt that stretched out his chub and leaned him out. Good luck today
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:47 AM
My dd did this but she only lost 10 lbs. she's 12 and had a growth spurt.

Good luck with everything!
deputygirls28
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:49 AM
I wish I could have that happen again, instead its the gym 3 days a week and watching what I eat. Uh....kids don't know how lucky they are until its too late.

Quoting Lilmama217: Lol at Google! I did already but hearing actual stories is my preference. Thanks for telling me yours. I don't mind him going through those changes, as long he's fine too.

Quoting deputygirls28: I bet he's fine. I had the same thing happen when I was a junior in high school. I dropped from 140 to 115 very quickly. My mom had me start keeping track of my weight but we never found out why. Yes, I went and had tests done but I was perfectly healthy. I still to this day don't know why or how it happened. I'm sure he's fine. Just breathe and DO NOT GOOGLE!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)