Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

disability SSI question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 2 Replies
My sd lives with us full time. Her bm is not paying child support. Sd has autism and gets a very small SSI check. Bm said she has a court date set to get disability for herself. (Bm is bipolar) my question is will bm get a check for sd too? If she does will that money go to bm or will it come as part of sds check from SSI? Do we have to file for child support in order to get a check for sd because of BM's disability? Will the fact that bm gets a check do anything to sds current check?

My husband and I both work full time sds SSI check is very small just enough to keep a second insurance on SD and just enough for us to pay some medical bills of sds each month.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Is BM filing for SSDI? In that case, after/if she is approved, you will then contact social security to verify that she 1) listed SD as her daughter and 2) that you have custody of SD. You will then receive a monthly SSDI check from SSDI. Bipolar is a diagnosis that is extremely hard to receive benefits for, so she may be in for a long battle. However, if it successful, payments will go back to date of filing.

If BM is filing for SSI, I do not believe there is any check for SD, nor can you file for child support against SSI.

If your SD is on SSI, she should qualify for government insurance. Why do you need to use the payments for secondary insurance?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:03 AM
If Medicaid doesn't cover something but our regular insurance does I use her SSI to make up her co pay. Example she sees a therapist I really like weekly Medicaid does not cover that therapist because the therapist in an assistant working understand a supervisor. However her main insurance does cover the therapist so we pay for her co pay using sds SSI.

Quoting Anonymous: Is BM filing for SSDI? In that case, after/if she is approved, you will then contact social security to verify that she 1) listed SD as her daughter and 2) that you have custody of SD. You will then receive a monthly SSDI check from SSDI. Bipolar is a diagnosis that is extremely hard to receive benefits for, so she may be in for a long battle. However, if it successful, payments will go back to date of filing.

If BM is filing for SSI, I do not believe there is any check for SD, nor can you file for child support against SSI.

If your SD is on SSI, she should qualify for government insurance. Why do you need to use the payments for secondary insurance?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)