Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stop stealing dd's meds!!!! Small update, talked to him Second update

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:04 AM
  • 68 Replies

My dd has astham, so does her father (my ex). He does nothing to control his and doesn't go to the doctor to get an inhaler perscribed to him and when he does do that he often can't afford the inhaler (he'd rather buy viedo games or go out to eat). I make sure that my dd has her control meds (kept at home) and her rescue inhaler. She carries her inhaler with her everywhere. Her father knows this so when she's with him and he has an attack he uses hers. Problem is this makes her go threw her inhaler a lot faster then she should. And it's getting expensive for dh and I to have to pay for new ones when she's out. Ex is spoussed to pay for 85% of out of pocket medical expenses but he doesn't so it really adds up.

I've told dd over and over again that the inhaler for her and she's not to share it with anyone, but she says her father says that he pays for child support and there for is paying for her inhaler. I've tried talking to him about it but he ethier lies and says it never happened or tells me the same thing about the child support. I've brought up to him that his isn't paying for his share of out of pocket medical expenses and her inhaler is one of thoes things and he just starts telling me that 'm a bitch and trying to take him for every penny he has and that I'm trying to take money away from his wife and child.

I'm at a loss of what to do, I can't not send the inhaler with her, but we can also not afford having to buy more inhlaers then she needs because her father uses her meds.

Update:

I texted ex and said we needed to talk before dd visited this weekend and to call me. He finally did. Told him I noticed that her inhaler was being emptied alot sooner then it should be and she seemes to be using it more when she's with him and I was just wondering if he knew anything about it. He started telling me that she was having attacks when she was with him. I told him that if that was true maybe she shouldn't come to visit until he was able to find and remove whatever it is that is triggering her attacks because it's not good for her to have that many attacks in that short of a period of time. He then admitted to "somtimes" using hers but only in an emergency. I told him that he is not to use her inhaler at all and that he should make sure he has his own at all times. I also pointed out that he still owes me for out of pocket medical and that would include her inhalers. He started going off about child support and such and I asked if he'd like to go back to court and explaine that he's not paying his share of out of pocket medical to a jugde. He told me "fine I'll start paying you, and I won't touch the f ing inhaler anymore." He also told me what a greedy bitch I am. Told him if I notice that he's using the inhaler again I won't send her to visit anymore. He toldme he'd take me to court for it and I told him he wouldn't have to because I would be taking him to court for the past money he owes me. Okay so maybe it's childish to threaten court like I did but it felt good and at least it sounds like he's going to leave the inhaler alone. He's afraid of me taking him to court because the judge we always get cracks down hard on him and told him that last time we were there that he didn't want to see him in his court room ever again.

Second update:

DD went to visit her father this weekend. She did go for only one day of the weekend because we had a girl scout feild trip on Sunday. But she went on Saturday. Before she left I checked her rescue inhaler and noted the number of puffs lefted and when she got home asked if she needed it at all while she was gone. She told me that she didn't need it at all during the day. I asked if her father used it at all, she told me no. That he had his own now that he used. She went on to tell me it looks just like her's (which is possible if they use the same brand) Just to be safe I checked her inhaler to make sure and there was the same number of puffs as when she left. So so far so good  I guess.

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
destiny3513
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this
Tell him.he needs a separate one at his house. Or she can't go.
destiny3513
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:07 AM
I'm sure its a huge deal to use rx that isn't yours too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Time to take him back to court so the judge can spell it out for him...NO using your dd's meds, and have the judge ORDER him to make sure to get his own... and then have the judge see the proof that he is getting his own meds

Jinx-Troublex3
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:09 AM
I would bring it up with your lawyer!
embrigmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I tried that he told me I would have to pay for it and refill as needed.  And if I do that he'd be able to use it all that time not just the every other weekend that she visits him so I'd be spending even more money and it would be for him to have meds, that doesn't work for us. 

Quoting destiny3513: Tell him.he needs a separate one at his house. Or she can't go.

Lexa_Lee
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM
I'd take his ass back to court.
embrigmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:12 AM

At this point I have no proof that he's using her meds other then my dd telling me about it. And he says she's lying about it. I know he's not but it's his word against mine. Dd has said that grandma and an aunt were there when it has happened but when I ask them about it they say they don't know what I'm talking about. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Time to take him back to court so the judge can spell it out for him...NO using your dd's meds, and have the judge ORDER him to make sure to get his own... and then have the judge see the proof that he is getting his own meds

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd talk to a lawyer about it. I mean, what if he goes overboard with using it and, when your DD needs it, it is empty? Maybe it could be considered a risk factor and they could force him to get his own.

beethann
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:13 AM

You can buy inhalers at Walgreens. Tell him to do that if he can't afford a RX one. Also, go to court or call the police. I'm pretty sure he could get in some serious trouble for using someone elses meds!

embrigmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Don't have one we handeled everything without them. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I would bring it up with your lawyer!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)