Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bleh! I suck (and not in a good way).

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
I am HORRIBLE with money lately!Dh is the only one working,he makes way more than enough to support us while I am in school.So yes,I splurge quite a bit.I always buy the cheapest stuff,but usually too much of it.

Dh had 5 days off for ,thanksgiving,5 days off for christmas,4 days off for new years.We weren't expecting it at all! Money is tight,Bills are paid but my shopping is ridiculous!
Were living paycheck to paycheck,Yet he makes enough weekly to pay ALL our bills twice.

*Sorry,I had to rant.I know its my fault I just don't understand where the hell the money is going.I don't buy expensive stuff and I really don't shop a lot.*
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Give yourself a budget of how much money you get every week and start carrying cash.  When it's gone you stop.

anyotherday
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:28 AM

wow it's really hard to feel bad for you.

what do you think you should do about this "problem"?

GrandNagus
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:29 AM

If you're spending all your money, you are either shopping a lot or buying expensive. Probably shopping a lot. If you think you aren't spending much it's easy to buy lots of stuff.  Go through all your receipts, get a good idea of how much you are actually spending and where. Then start cutting out or down the excess.

Chibee
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:30 AM

start tracking what exactly you are buying and go from there.   Sometimes you can spend money on things but not bring home any bags to SEE what you've done (ie. lotto tickets, coffee's, out to lunch with friends....)

chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Make a budget and get cash to use.  Once the cash is gone, it's gone and no more buying anything (at all) until the next cycle.  Don't use any credit or debit cards until you recognize where the money is going-try it for a couple of months.  Once you figure out where your frivilous spending is happening (Starbucks?) you'll be able to stop and avoid it.

dbrown1989
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:32 AM

WOW. That...wow. I got nothin' nice to say here.

bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Start making yourself write everything down. Using debit cards makes it so easy to spend. Also look at stuff you are getting monthly through the mail such as book and CD clubs, vitamins, hair or face products etc. Those add up. Daily coffee drinks, breakfast or lunch out? Adds up fast.
IndigoRose
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Quoting chalisa0:

Make a budget and get cash to use.  Once the cash is gone, it's gone and no more buying anything (at all) until the next cycle.  Don't use any credit or debit cards until you recognize where the money is going-try it for a couple of months.  Once you figure out where your frivilous spending is happening (Starbucks?) you'll be able to stop and avoid it.

I broke the Starbucks habit a long time ago.  $60+ per month spent just on coffee!  No-no-no!  I drink green tea or tea with lemon.  

Mocha.Maya.Me
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this

YIKES. . .  Perhaps you should join your local Shopaholics Anonymous group and check out seeing a professional therapist to find out what the real issue is.  Over shopping is a serious issue for many people, and can often be linked to a mental illness, or related to past emotional trauma and PTSD.

Also, it's much better to have a few good classic expensive items, then a bunch of cheap worthless stuff. ( at least then you have an option of reselling them if things get desperate such as now)

Not that I'm suggesting you keep blowing that much money. WOW

Good luck Mama.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Stop carrying more money than you need to purchase requirements, and start leaving any debit and credit cards at home when you go out.

Problem solved.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)