Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATE: Is it time to call CPS?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies

My next door neighbor has a 3 and 5 year old. They are really sweet kids but I am not being nosey but starting to become concerned about them and after what i saw this morning I think calling CPS is warranted.  First she moved in 3 months ago and she lets her 5 year old walk up and down the street and even go to the store that around the corner by herself. Often times the kids have on dirty clothes that I have seen them in the day before and the day before that. They both look like they never eat. I was making cookies one time for my kids and saw them sitting on their porch so I offered them cookies and they ate like they had eaten in days. The mom I never see but i see 2 or 3 men coming out of her house everyday. I am not sure why I haven't really did anything before now, mainly because I figured it was not my business and I had no proof.  Right now here it is very cold like and there is snow on the ground. I saw the 3 year old a hour ago when I looked out my window just playing in the snow with capris a shirt, no socks and no shoes. I walked outside and told her she needed to go in the house and get some more clothes on because it is cold out here. She went in. 30 min later the five year and 3 year old came to my door and the 5 year old had a big welt on her eye asking for food. The 5 year old tells me   that  her and her sister havent eaten in 2 days and that mommy wont come out because she sick in her bedroom. Well I of course I let them in, made them sandwiches and had my 13 year old watch them while I go check on their mother...knocked on teh door no answer..........so I knocked again louder.......she finally comes to the door in almost nothing....alcohol on her breath. I told that I had her LO and they were okay and they were over at my house eating and playing with my kids. She  said tell them to come home but I told her that if she is feeling sick than I can watch them for a little while she at first said not but I insisted. I frankly did not want them to go back to her with her literally all boozed up and if what they said was  true.  I am sitting here contemplating whether I should call CPS. I was always told this is something one mom doesnt do to another but I am worried about these kids. They are here now but they will eventually have to go back home. Is it time to call CPS?

ETA:
I know a lot of mommies on here are legitmately worried. I called the police and they came pretty quickly. They are questioning them right now and then they said they would want to speak to me. Sorry to seem not sure what to do. I knew I was calling just needed reasurance.

Final Update:

They took her and the kids in. She was not handcuffed and she was holding the 3 year old who was crying in the back of the sqaud car. The neighbor next to her said that the woman called to ask her to lock up her house and make sure she turned her stove and everything off. She also said that someone called the police on her and the kids were taken away but they are going to stay with her mother. I did not tell the neighbor it was me. I dont know if she knows. Thanks guys for your help. I knew what i had to do. I have just never did it before.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2_2542
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:12 AM
I would. Its going to be drama though. But they at least need to do a check.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:13 AM
3 moms liked this

CALL NOW!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:14 AM
I would....
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:16 AM
2 moms liked this
It is ALWAYS the job of an adult to stand up for someone who cant stand up for themself.
Always
Chibee
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I would try to get some more information out of the kids, and THEN call cps...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:17 AM
I'm afraid you're going to have to make that call. Those poor babies.

I'm saying this as someone who, although has never been involved with CPS herself, is not a big supporter of the agency whatsoever.
Chibee
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:17 AM

This.  Exactly.

Quoting peanutsmommy1: It is ALWAYS the job of an adult to stand up for someone who cant stand up for themself.
Always

EninJenniLouis
I would. She will hate you, but those kids will be safe.
coopersmommy843

call CPS and call the non emergency number for the police and have them come out too, if the kids say they haven't eaten in days then there reason to have the police involved

MagicMonkey
by Cilla on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Yea I'd call and I'm usually one to give the benefit of the doubt, call...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)