Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obama Care screwed me over in the worst way possible! grrrrrrrr

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies

I have several health issues. Endometriosis, chronic migraines, and 5.14cm nodule on my thyroid, and an over active bladder & anxiety. All of which requires medicines for me to function at a somewhat normal life.

I was coverd by blue cross, thru myself as an individual. The monthly payment to blue cross was close to $400 a month. In which we had been using a credit card to pay, because we didn't have the money.

On november 19th 2013 I got a letter from medicaid stating that January 1st 2014 I would be coverd by medicaid. And that my card & handbook would arrive soon. And in between waiting for that card, I could use that letter for doc appts, er visits, and prescription refills. So I went to the pharmacy to pick up my meds, and they informed me that there was NO insurance for me.

I've been calling them for the last 3 days. And they are saying that i'm not eligible for coverage. Yet, they have my son and husband coverd. We all have the same income. SO that makes no sense to me.

and here I sit, in much need of these meds. I also have up-coming doc apts for endometriosis, the migraines and the nodule on my thyroid, and I can't get my meds or go to these appointments because  I have no insurance and no money to pay for all of this.

I'm livid and depressed. I don't see how they can do this. Yet they can and they are.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsbrimer
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Do you have some saved up money to just buy the meds at face value?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I am so sorry to hear that. I have the exact same diagnosis as you. I had that problem yesterday, I fought with the lady at the pharmacy. She made a phone call and got my meds for my endo. covered. What are you doing for your endo, I need suggestions because it is so bad. Id call the medicad hot line or what ever the number is that came with your pamphlet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Right now, I'm just suffering. I don't have the money for the meds. I've had surgery to remove the endo, but that was in 2008, and I'm due for another surgery for it growing back. I've been taking depo shots every 3 months because it stops my cycle and slows the growths down. But my next shot is jan 14th, but I can't go get that because I have no insurance, the shot alone is almost $400 and the doc visit to get the shot is $80

The migraine pills ( maxalt) is almost $600.00 without insurance, the anxiety pills are $98.00 and my bladder pills are just over $100.00 So I'm screwed!

It's misserable and I'm trying to put on that happy face and push forward, but it's getting to me, what I really want to do is curl up in a ball and just cry as hard as I can... But I can't do that either, because I have a 3 year old who wouldn't understand and I don't need to freak him out.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am so sorry to hear that. I have the exact same diagnosis as you. I had that problem yesterday, I fought with the lady at the pharmacy. She made a phone call and got my meds for my endo. covered. What are you doing for your endo, I need suggestions because it is so bad. Id call the medicad hot line or what ever the number is that came with your pamphlet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I have nothing. Migraine meds are almost $600.00 without insurance, anxiety meds are $98.00 bladder meds are just over $100.00 and the shot I was supposed to get on the 14th is about $400.00 plus the doc office pay of $80.00

Then I was supposed to have a referal to a head doc, to check and see why I have chronic migraines, that requires lab work, scans etc. And then the tyroid doc wanted me to come back and have another ultra sound and biopsy done to check for cancer and growth in size, to go ahead with surgery because it's pressing on my carotid artery......

Quoting mrsbrimer: Do you have some saved up money to just buy the meds at face value?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I feel for you. We lost our plan and the plans in the exchange are double what we are paying since we do not qualify for a subsidy.  We are uninsured at the moment since our plan dropped us on Jan 1 and we didn't have but two weeks to find something else.  It is a mess for so many right now and will get worse. 

-PB
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, its gonna screw a lot of people over.  I have private insurance and my premiums went up while my coverage went down.  I too, have medical problems.  If I were to sign up for obama care my medication would not be covered and my medication cost 55,000 a year.  Sucks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Again I am so sorry, my heart goes out to you. I truly understand what you are going through.My lupron which is depo on crack was denied by the insurance co. So they gave me oral progesterone. I don't know if calling around to different pharmacy's would do anything to help you out. I know at one point I got grants from Giant Eagle to get my medications. They made them 75% off which helped out a lot.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right now, I'm just suffering. I don't have the money for the meds. I've had surgery to remove the endo, but that was in 2008, and I'm due for another surgery for it growing back. I've been taking depo shots every 3 months because it stops my cycle and slows the growths down. But my next shot is jan 14th, but I can't go get that because I have no insurance, the shot alone is almost $400 and the doc visit to get the shot is $80

The migraine pills ( maxalt) is almost $600.00 without insurance, the anxiety pills are $98.00 and my bladder pills are just over $100.00 So I'm screwed!

It's misserable and I'm trying to put on that happy face and push forward, but it's getting to me, what I really want to do is curl up in a ball and just cry as hard as I can... But I can't do that either, because I have a 3 year old who wouldn't understand and I don't need to freak him out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:21 PM

What is Gian Eagle? How do I reach them? are they for any state?

Quoting Anonymous:

Again I am so sorry, my heart goes out to you. I truly understand what you are going through.My lupron which is depo on crack was denied by the insurance co. So they gave me oral progesterone. I don't know if calling around to different pharmacy's would do anything to help you out. I know at one point I got grants from Giant Eagle to get my medications. They made them 75% off which helped out a lot.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

sunnysideup89
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

If it makes you feel any better, I am currently going to medical school and I will SURELY do my best to change all this with protests and letters. Sorry :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:21 PM

And I thought getting kicked off of DH's insurance was bad.  I'm sorry, I wish I had actual advice for you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)