Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Deciding between workouts. Thoughts?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:50 PM
  • 25 Replies
Hi Ladies,

I have a decision to make. It's a new year and that means it's time to re-new my workout class membership. I need to decide between two "gyms" for the next coming months.

Option 1: Yoga Studio

Cost: $160 for ~4 months, unlimited classes OR 16 class punch card for $80 (membership is in 4 month blocks)

I've been with this yoga studio for almost 1 year. I really like the instructors and the times offered for workout classes.

Pros: This studio offers a variety of classes: hot yoga, yoga basics, flex and flow yoga, zumba, zumba toning, spinning (though I can never make the spinning class time), mommy & me yoga, and senior yoga. I can attend any class as there is no limits and the classes are fun. Every now and then this yoga studio takes a week off of having classes and during that time they offer FREE zumba classes. Classes with this studio are offered 6 days a week. Yoga studio is like a 5 min drive from my home or 15 min walk.

Cons: The classes are fun, but not very challenging anymore. I've plataued with my weight loss and I'm wondering if I should switch things up. I can attend one of the "harder" yoga classes, but sometimes the instructor will make the class easier for new people who come into the class.

Option 3: Crossfit Gym

Cost: $80 per month, unlimited classes (so $320 for 4 months total).

I think this gym offers classes 6 days a week in the afternoon and evening (have to double check on that)

I'm trying out a free crossfit gym session next weekend and if I like it, I might switch to this gym. There are about 40 members and I think only a handful of coaches. I don't know much about this place yet, but I've read that crossfit is great for FAT burning! I have about 20-30lbs that I want to lose and I don't know if I can accomplish that weight loss with the yoga/zumba classes.

Pros: Likely to burn fat, very new workout to me so it would be a change for my body.

Cons: It's a 15 minute drive from my home. I'm totally new to crossfit/lifting weights so that is kind of scary.

Thoughts? Thanks ladies. I suppose another option might be to try out the crossfit membership for 1 month, see how it goes, and then switch back to the yoga classes if I hate it or can't make it to enough classes?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babyspots17
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Really depends on the type of muscle you are looking to gain.  I think with either diet is really going to be the deciding factor on weight loss over all.  All the cross fit members I know that really take it serious have jacked muscles with zumba/yoga you will have a more leaner toned look. 

ballerina18
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Well, for now I need to focus on losing those last 20-30lbs. When I take my yoga classes I know I am getting stronger and gaining muscle, but I wont be able to see what is happening there until I lose my belly fat. So, strictly speaking I'm looking for the better workout plan for fat loss.

Obviously, diet will be essential for losing fat/weight and I understand that my diet is going to make the biggest difference. With that said, in the past I have lost weight more quickly when I did high intensity workouts so that is why I am considering trying crossfit.

Quoting babyspots17:

Really depends on the type of muscle you are looking to gain.  I think with either diet is really going to be the deciding factor on weight loss over all.  All the cross fit members I know that really take it serious have jacked muscles with zumba/yoga you will have a more leaner toned look. 

ballerina18
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:29 PM

bump

Alliemad_003
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Crossfit is HARD CORE. It's very easy to hurt yourself if you don't know what you're doing.

That being said, it's easy to plateau if you don't switch things up. I wouldn't join a place where I couldn't really switch up my workout style. I do a bootcamp and we haven't done the same workout twice since she started her classes in September.
Alliemad_003
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:35 PM
You aren't going to lose fat if you're only doing yoga and not getting enough cardio.

Quoting ballerina18:

Well, for now I need to focus on losing those last 20-30lbs. When I take my yoga classes I know I am getting stronger and gaining muscle, but I wont be able to see what is happening there until I lose my belly fat. So, strictly speaking I'm looking for the better workout plan for fat loss.

Obviously, diet will be essential for losing fat/weight and I understand that my diet is going to make the biggest difference. With that said, in the past I have lost weight more quickly when I did high intensity workouts so that is why I am considering trying crossfit.

Quoting babyspots17:

ballerina18
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:38 PM

With the yoga studio, the 2 zumba classes they have a week are their "cardio" classes. There is also a "power yoga" class that is pretty intense, but  honestly...I don't think it is enough (or hard enough) cardio for me.

Do you have any experience with crossfit?

Quoting Alliemad_003: You aren't going to lose fat if you're only doing yoga and not getting enough cardio.

Quoting ballerina18:

Quoting babyspots17:

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I am no help. I work out at home. Bump!

ballerina18
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Thanks for the bump!

What type of workouts do you do at home? I'm really serious about making this the year that I finally SEE my ab muscles. LOL

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

DonnaNoble
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:41 PM
I think this is a good idea.

Quoting Alliemad_003: Crossfit is HARD CORE. It's very easy to hurt yourself if you don't know what you're doing.

That being said, it's easy to plateau if you don't switch things up. I wouldn't join a place where I couldn't really switch up my workout style. I do a bootcamp and we haven't done the same workout twice since she started her classes in September.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:43 PM

I have abs! I do a lot of Jillian Micheals videos, biggest loser, and sometimes insanity. When I am really in a good groove I up my weights a bit. Gyms intimidate me LOL

Quoting ballerina18:

Thanks for the bump!

What type of workouts do you do at home? I'm really serious about making this the year that I finally SEE my ab muscles. LOL

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)