Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anybody take daily allergy pills?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:34 PM
  • 20 Replies

I feel like I've developed some sort of indoor allergen. I wake up congested every day, blow my nose alot. I have sinus headaches and constant pressure in my ears. This isn't a cold because the symptoms range in severity from day to day but I've had them for a couple of months now. I bought some claritin last night hoping that maybe a daily allergy pill will help. Today I woke up feeling particularly bad and took a claritin .... so far symptoms have not improved.

Do I maybe just need to try a different pill or it might take a few days to kick in or what?

FYI ..... I have a dr's appointment on Friday for something else and I'm going to mention my recent issue with allergy symptoms, just wondering if this really sounds like allergies and how long it might take a 24 hour antihistimine to work like claritin.

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I take a Zyrtec every day for hive related issues. I noticed at first it didn't make much of a difference, but after maybe a week there was a big change.

incogNinja
by Whofflé on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:37 PM
Not me but my son uses Zyrtec 365 days a year. You might just need a different medicine
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Every day. I have taken Benedryl, Zyrtec, Claritan, Allegra. I change up every year so I won't build up an intolerance

ineedcoffeemom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Are his from outdoor or indoor allergies? Or combo? 

Quoting incogNinja: Not me but my son uses Zyrtec 365 days a year. You might just need a different medicine

dbrown1989
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:41 PM

I used to take Zyrtec, it stopped working after like 5 years of every day taking the pill. I tried Clairitin and it's been working so far. Although, I have grown out of my allergies a little itty bitty bit. I used to be prescribed Xyzal from my allergist and get allergy shots. Those were the best ever.

Drink more water, it helps you wake up less congested too.

Chibee
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:41 PM

i am allergic to EVERYTHING.   I have tried zyrtec and claritin and they did nothing for me.  allegra was minor relief but not much.  i have 3 prescriptions I take everyday and also allergy shots.    you need to have a grid done and see whats causing your issue

incogNinja
by Whofflé on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Poor kid, I don't even know. His appendix ruptured when he was 4 and it threw his body into a huge tailspin. He suddenly became allergic to quite a few things when he never had allergies before. We have to take it as a precautionary measure because he would break into hives every single day.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Are his from outdoor or indoor allergies? Or combo? 

Quoting incogNinja: Not me but my son uses Zyrtec 365 days a year. You might just need a different medicine

ktwister
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:46 PM

I have to take Zyrtec, Nasonex, then allergy shots.

I'm extremely sensitive to molds, to the point my body won't fight it.

ineedcoffeemom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:56 PM

I was also as a kid. I got allergy shots as a kid and I was able to outgrow most of my allergies. I had several food allergies I outgrew. And as an adult I never dealt with seasonal allergies or others because of the help I got as a kid. This would suck if all those allergies came back :(

And my dh must have gone to a really crappy allergy dr because they did skin tests on him, he was off the chart in everything and they wouldn't give him allergy shots, only a prescription antihistamine which he refuses to take because it knocks him out and he's unable to drive or work on them.

Quoting Chibee:

i am allergic to EVERYTHING.   I have tried zyrtec and claritin and they did nothing for me.  allegra was minor relief but not much.  i have 3 prescriptions I take everyday and also allergy shots.    you need to have a grid done and see whats causing your issue

Chibee
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:00 PM

My brother was the exact same as you.   He had terrible terrible life-threatening allergies as a child.  He had shots every single day, then every other, etc etc.   Now he is 36 and has no allergies.   When I was little, I wasn't allergic to anything...I just grew into mine while he grew out of his =)    Damn allergies!!!  =)

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

I was also as a kid. I got allergy shots as a kid and I was able to outgrow most of my allergies. I had several food allergies I outgrew. And as an adult I never dealt with seasonal allergies or others because of the help I got as a kid. This would suck if all those allergies came back :(

And my dh must have gone to a really crappy allergy dr because they did skin tests on him, he was off the chart in everything and they wouldn't give him allergy shots, only a prescription antihistamine which he refuses to take because it knocks him out and he's unable to drive or work on them.

Quoting Chibee:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)