Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it bad that I don't want to name my kids after people very important to us?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies

My mother was killed by her boyfriend when I was 12 years old. I loved her very much and I feel like I should name my first child after her but....I don't really like her name. If I have a boy, we have the same problem. My fiance's brother died in a car accident 2 years ago and df is set on naming him after his brother. 

The names are Erika and John. They aren't horrible or anything but they are just not names that I ever envisioned my kids having. Df is set on naming them these names, he wasn't even aware that the topic of their names were up for discussion..but now I'm just having second thoughts.

I feel bad but idk what do to :/

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lexa_Lee
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:54 PM
I regret naming my son his first name. Don't feel pressure to name your child something other than what you want.
ewunia79
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Your children your choice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM
5 moms liked this

try using them as middle names...

destiny3513
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Just tell him. There's always middle names.
codfish
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course names are up for debate.

What about as middle names? Or a play on the names? My sister is named after our g-father in a cute way.
Bethsunshine
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:59 PM

This is a good suggestion! If you don't want to use those names then don't use them. However, there are other options if you just don't like the names. You can look up variations of the names and use one of those. I think it's lovely when a name has a special meaning like that because you can tell your child the story behind their name. I am named after both of my grandmothers, which I think is really cool! Regardless, you should name your child something that you feel comfortable with.

Quoting Anonymous:

try using them as middle names...

terpmama
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:59 PM
What about a compromise... Either same initials or use them as middle names? Maybe combine the names (letters) for a middle name to honor both people?
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Dumbest answer ever.... They are HIS kids too, why doesn't he get a choice? 

Quoting ewunia79: Your children your choice.

vbway
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:00 PM

What about using their initials as your kids initials? I am only suggesting because you seem to like the idea of naming them after those special people, you just don't care for the names. 

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Your children...........Your choice

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)