Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help from Moms with experience in dealing with this *ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

My DS is 2 months old and just had his 2 month well check. I had to fill out the 2 month assessment and once the doctor went over everything and examined him she told me he is borderline for gross motor development. She said there isn't much room to work with them when they are borderline, but she wasn't too concerned. I'm pretty sure the only thing he is behind on is lifting his head.

From the time he was born he had crazy neck control! He immediately popped his head up and looked around, holding it up by himself. He would of course get tired quickly but none the less he could do it. At 8 weeks we had him in the bumbo chair and he was sitting up no issues, holding his head up the entire time. Anytime he sits up he holds up his own head the entire time. Also he likes to stand, which he can do for quite a while! The whole time he stands (while you hold his body of course) he holds his head up the entire time. He also holds it up when I hold him and stuff. But when we do tummy time he wont lift his head?? He will do it for a couple seconds and then lay it down. He was holding it up for a couple of minute at 5 weeks and now he wont even do that during tummy time. This is what the Doctor said he should be able to do. 

We noticed he stopped doing it around 7 weeks, he also hates tummy time. So what we started doing was shorter tummy times throughout the day but more often. We are doing tummy time probably 6 times a day but less than 5 minutes at a time. It doesn't seem to be having ANY effect though. The doctor said that's exactly what we should be doing.. So why isn't it working?

I'm obviously concerned and I'm hoping to hear from anyone else with experience in this. Thank you 

*ETA*. When we do tummy time we do it both on the boppy and also on the play mat (so he is laying flat). When he is on the play mat he just lays there face down crying like hes suffocating (so I obviously turn him over). He starts out by lying flat and his head laying to the side but then turns it face down and does that. He looks very stiff, almost like he cant lift his head back (maybe it hurts?)? I almost wonder if there could be something wrong?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newwifenmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:05 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Try varying the tummy position, prop him up on a boppy for example.
Paige03
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I don't know but here's a bump! 

destiny3513
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Relax, kids develop differently. My ten month old can walk but not say mama. Other babies his age say things but I'm not worried because he's fine otherwise. Do tummy time and things. He'll get stronger. Also maybe the chiro can help, just in case of a misalignment.
Melbornj
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Relax all kids develope at different rates, I wouldn't worry about it in the least. 

Jessicamarquez
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM
Honestly I wouldn't wen be concerned my kid dd what she wanted lol when she wanted all kids grow and develop different gl
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Quoting Anonymous: Try varying the tummy position, prop him up on a boppy for example.

We alternate between the boppy and putting him flat on his play mat. He will lay there and turn his face down into the mat and practically suffocate himself, he just lays like that crying. I have to turn him onto his back because it worries me. He only does that on the playmat though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Maybe a different surface? We use thick gym mats at one of my mom groups and so many babies roll over or hold up their heads for the first time on those.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous: Try varying the tummy position, prop him up on a boppy for example.

We alternate between the boppy and putting him flat on his play mat. He will lay there and turn his face down into the mat and practically suffocate himself, he just lays like that crying. I have to turn him onto his back because it worries me. He only does that on the playmat though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:16 PM

When he lies flat on his belly he doesnt try to lift his head at all. It looks like he almost isnt able to lift it back, hes just so stiff. Im kind of wondering if something is wrong?

Quoting Anonymous: Maybe a different surface? We use thick gym mats at one of my mom groups and so many babies roll over or hold up their heads for the first time on those.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Honestly, I didn't do a whole lot of "tummy time." Older son came out holding his head up (the nurses were shocked att he control he had).

Younger son just screamed every time he was down for tummy time that I gave up. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)