Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you call or email your childs school regularly to check on them?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 297 Replies

Just wondering. Some friends say they do this, some say they don't. I never realized that parents did this.

I'm asking  because my 8 yr old came home with a D in Math and I had no idea until I saw his report card today.

His teacher left comments "talking too much in class" and "not completing classwork"

Am I a failure as a parent because I didn't know he was having problems? Admittedly I have been very preoccupied the last few months, we just bought a house and moved twice since November, and I think I may even be depressed. Not excusing myself just explaining a little.

I also work full time Mon-Fri.

Should I have been calling or emailing to check on his progress, or is it the teachers job to let the parents know if their child is struggling?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crazy-Steph
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:07 PM
13 moms liked this

Don't you see his graded work?  Don't you ask him how he's doing?  Can you see his grades online?

No, I don't call the school to check on my kids.

imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

lol, no I don't.

but I do go to parent teacher conferences and see his teacher at all school events. So that gives Also volunteering keeps a close relationship with the teacher. Sll of those things give the teacher ample opportunity to let me know if there is an issue. 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM

No I don't. No reason to.

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:10 PM

No.  My son is also 8 and in third grade.  We are able to check their grades online and also view each assignment individually, as well as the grade received for each.  I would only contact the teacher if it looks like he was having difficulty to see if there was any way we could assist at home.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Yes I see his work, I haven't been checking his backpack every day and I need to. I can't see grades online. I ask him every day how he is doing and I never hear any problems.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Don't you see his graded work?  Don't you ask him how he's doing?  Can you see his grades online?

No, I don't call the school to check on my kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I can't volunteer, I work full time. I do go to conferences when needed and any school event he is in.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

lol, no I don't.

but I do go to parent teacher conferences and see his teacher at all school events. So that gives Also volunteering keeps a close relationship with the teacher. Sll of those things give the teacher ample opportunity to let me know if there is an issue. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:11 PM
I see his teacher daily when I pick him up. If there's ever an issue, I get notified at pick up time.
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not call or email on a regular basis, but I do keep in touch with the teachers by being at the school for conferences, parties, etc. I would like to believe that their teachers would let me know if there was a problem before it got too big to fix. I have also told both teachers that if there is ever a problem they should feel free to call or email me and we can get it straightened out.

P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM
No, i do walk her to class once a week and talk to the teacher.
marshsmom
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:13 PM
3 moms liked this

I do not call, but I check my son's backback and folder everyday.  He is in elementary school so they have a behavior chart, we also get a folder with all of his graded work every other week and I have to sign each sheet.  There are also mandatory parent/teacher conferences twice per semester.  On top of all that I drop him off every morning and see his teacher.  If he is struggling I know because he tells me or I can see it in his work.  When there is a problem I request a meeting with his teacher.  IMO, it's up to the school to contact you if there are problems, HOWEVER, you are still "mom" and ultimately it is your responsibility to be proactive in helping and advocating for your child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)