Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So, My kid broke his friends glasses....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 60 Replies

He's 8 years old and in 3rd grade.... apparently him and the boy are friends, were wrestling, and he put the other child in a choke hold.

DH and I are ALWAYS on this kids ass about keeping his hands to himself! It's like he goes to school and loses his dang mind!!

The principal calls me and asks me to call the mother about the glasses, I am off work for another 3 weeks due to having a baby so before I call I'm worried! His mom says the glasses were already broken and they just superglued them. I told her I'd offer to buy her child new ones, but I am out of work right now- and if they were ALREADY broken then I could help with a copay or something, she said not to worry about it.

So, obviously DS is in MAJOR trouble. I am considering letting him work for relatives, and earn some money to give to the kid to help fix the glasses.

wwyd? The mom said dont worry about it, idk if he has state insurance or whatever... is making him do work for other people to raise the money to fix his wrongdoing a bad thing to do? should I call the mom back and just give her money... Im actually kinda dumbfounded.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:16 PM
4 moms liked this
You should definitely give her the money even if she insists that she doesn't want it and it's not a bad idea at all to make your son earn the money.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Quoting owl0210: You should definitely give her the money even if she insists that she doesn't want it and it's not a bad idea at all to make your son earn the money.

How much money? The copay for DS glasses is $25 for visit, $10 for materials.

Katkinson
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

In this case, it's the parent's responsibility to take care of the glasses, IMO.  If the situation were different ( they weren't friends, it was done intentionally, etc) I would think otherwise. 

My DD wears glasses. I paid for the insurance on them-- $25 to replace them.  Kids are kids. I've already had to replace them once.  She got hit in the face with a basketball. 

I wouldn't worry about it.  I would follow through with a consequence for your son being kind of careless like you are, and maybe find a funny "sorry" card and bake some muffins or cookies for the kid and drive your son over to give them to him or something. 

JMO!!! I would NEVER expect a child who accidentally broke my kid's glasses to pay for them.  Crap happens.

myshoes
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM
3 moms liked this

Having your son work, earn money, and hand it over with a letter of apology It teaches him a lesson and even if the mom says she doesn't want the money, I am sure she will accept it.

mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting owl0210: You should definitely give her the money even if she insists that she doesn't want it and it's not a bad idea at all to make your son earn the money.

$35 is a great starting point.  He can put in his apology note that he can earn more, if needed.

Any idea what is causing him to act out in class?  Bored?  Underlying issue?  GL

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Depends on her insurance. If she has private, price will vary dependent on her her insurance.

Quoting Anonymous:

owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Pay for the repairs whatever that costs.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Katkinson:

In this case, it's the parent's responsibility to take care of the glasses, IMO.  If the situation were different ( they weren't friends, it was done intentionally, etc) I would think otherwise. 

My DD wears glasses. I paid for the insurance on them-- $25 to replace them.  Kids are kids. I've already had to replace them once.  She got hit in the face with a basketball. 

I wouldn't worry about it.  I would follow through with a consequence for your son being kind of careless like you are, and maybe find a funny "sorry" card and bake some muffins or cookies for the kid and drive your son over to give them to him or something. 

JMO!!! I would NEVER expect a child who accidentally broke my kid's glasses to pay for them.  Crap happens.

I wouldn't either, the mom said not to worry... I haven't talked to my child yet since hes still at school, but the school basically insist I replace them. I think I will have him work for $35. It's what his cost to fix, then he can write a letter of apology to the kid and his parents.

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:22 PM
I kind of agree. Both kids were wrestling.

Quoting Katkinson:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:22 PM
You offered and she declined. Leave it be. Make your son write an apology letter instead.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)