Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what speaking habits are you modeling to your children?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
I see so much bad grammar all the time, it makes me wonder if people were raised hearing it as children or if it happened later. My family has always taken pride in an extensive vocabulary with proper grammar- from as young as I can remember. I never heard double negatives nor improper subject verb agreement. .. yes, I'm a grammar Nazi, but I typically only correct in my head.
Curiously, if you have bad grammar, are you aware of it? Do you care? Did you grow up hearing language spoken that way?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:39 PM
BWAHAHA!

Quoting Sassy762:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:41 PM
I grew up all over the country. I have picked up so many phrases and bad grammmer from different states that I get attacked like crazy on cm. I don't really care.
AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:42 PM
I'm hoping good habits. Sometimes I slip up and say something off the wall and I KNOW it's wrong and I try to correct myself before others do.
Chibee
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I correct my daughter all the time with grammer.   It drives me nuts.  "I seen a car."   No, you SAW a car.   Stuff like that makes me crazy...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:45 PM
It drives you crazy, but misspelling grammar is OK.

Quoting Chibee:

I correct my daughter all the time with grammer.   It drives me nuts.  "I seen a car."   No, you SAW a car.   Stuff like that makes me crazy...

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

We make sure to use proper grammar and remind the kids to. We don't yell at them or something, just a little reminder, for example if my six year old son says "me and John would like to play outside", I'll just say "John and I" and he will repeat and I will say "okay, have fun."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:46 PM
Yet you misspelled grammar, and can't type a proper sentence.

Quoting Chibee:

Chibee
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:47 PM

well since spelling doesn't really count when SPEAKING, it's not something I'm concerned about in my 3yr old....   but thanks

Quoting Anonymous: It drives you crazy, but misspelling grammar is OK.

Quoting Chibee:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)