Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoption out of foster care... Anyone been through this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
After long talks with dh... We have decided to adopt a child out of foster care. We desperately want another child but long story short it's too dangerous and selfish (for us not anyone else) to get pregnant and have a biological child. We decided together adopting out of foster care is best. Not only to complete our happy family but give a disadvantage child a great life. We do have 3 children but we had always planned on having 5... And after my last very complicated c section i had my tubes tied and told no more pregnancies. Any one here adopt out of foster care? What are things I should expect? Thanks an sorry this is all over the place.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I adopted four boys. It was complicated and long but it was worth it. They boys have truely become a part of our family.

RJC78
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:40 PM

My brother and his wife are adopting my other brothers kids out of foster care.  Long story!  Anyways, I don't think it's super difficult or expensive, but I would think that you would need to get a foster parent license first.  Then once you are fostering, you will have to prepare yourself for the possibility that the kids may go back to family memers.  It can be tough, but bless you for considering it!  best of luck to you!

Paige03
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

It's hard. It's long, it's complicated but it's worth it. Hang in there and you will be thankful you did. Good luck. 

VinVanMom
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Adopted my my two children from foster care best thing that ever happened to us! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:46 PM
I was talking to someone who deals with social workers and foster parents... I guess in mi you don't have to foster parent first. Not sure how true that is but I am looking into it. I'm really excited to start the journey but so nervous I keep stalling. I don't think I could foster and send kids back... I seriously think foster parents (the good ones) are amazing and strong... I would be scared to get attached and never see the kids again. I though for sure dh would be all about a baby but that doesn't even matter to him. As long as the child/ children are younger as we have never dealt with teens yet and would hate to drive in head first to teen years.

Quoting RJC78:

My brother and his wife are adopting my other brothers kids out of foster care.  Long story!  Anyways, I don't think it's super difficult or expensive, but I would think that you would need to get a foster parent license first.  Then once you are fostering, you will have to prepare yourself for the possibility that the kids may go back to family memers.  It can be tough, but bless you for considering it!  best of luck to you!

onaflowers
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM
Bump for you. Good luck!
RJC78
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:55 PM

It's a huge step, but the reward will outweigh the struggle!  Just DO it mama! :)

Quoting Anonymous: I was talking to someone who deals with social workers and foster parents... I guess in mi you don't have to foster parent first. Not sure how true that is but I am looking into it. I'm really excited to start the journey but so nervous I keep stalling. I don't think I could foster and send kids back... I seriously think foster parents (the good ones) are amazing and strong... I would be scared to get attached and never see the kids again. I though for sure dh would be all about a baby but that doesn't even matter to him. As long as the child/ children are younger as we have never dealt with teens yet and would hate to drive in head first to teen years.

Quoting RJC78:

AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I have no idea but here is a bump for ya :)

thomasboymama
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:13 PM
My husband and I adopted from foster care.
What we did was call childrens services in our
State and they sent us the information.

Good luck!!
tonijustine
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:26 PM

If this is the case, you should ask to only be considered for children whose parents have had their parental rights terminated and are on track for adoption.  It is rare that those will be infants (though possible, just not very likley), but you will not have kids whose parents are still working toward reunification.

Remember, the foster care system is about preserving families, so the first track (unless it is a repeat offender) is toward reunification with the birth family, so if you are doing traditional foster, you will probably have to face bonding with a child and returning them to their parents.

Good luck! 

Quoting Anonymous: I was talking to someone who deals with social workers and foster parents... I guess in mi you don't have to foster parent first. Not sure how true that is but I am looking into it. I'm really excited to start the journey but so nervous I keep stalling. I don't think I could foster and send kids back... I seriously think foster parents (the good ones) are amazing and strong... I would be scared to get attached and never see the kids again. I though for sure dh would be all about a baby but that doesn't even matter to him. As long as the child/ children are younger as we have never dealt with teens yet and would hate to drive in head first to teen years.

Quoting RJC78:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)