Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how would you take this statement?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
"I wouldn't doubt he's his son cuz whatever mental problem or issue dad has, I can see it in him too"

The son being my son... 8 years old and only really spent like 2 months around his dad (during the day, about 3 weeks worth back in 2009, a couple days in September)

My ex is troubled by his past... but my son? He's only 8 and honestly, the only thing they share is the fact their biological father walked out on them
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
inspain
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:58 PM

True or not, it's a jerky thing to say.

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM
I'd be pretty insulted..... What prompted this person to say that?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:05 PM
There's a genetic component to mental illness.

My middle son is adopted. Both of his parents had serious mental health issues. He has been with is since they passed away (at their own hands), 7mo old. He will be 10yro in the spring. His troubles began around 2yro. He has been tested, seen counselors, therapists, psychiatrists, and has been put on medications. He has so many behavioral problems and can be absolutely frustrating some days. There are days I wish I could bring his bio parents back to life just so I can smack them both! He's been kicked out of clubs. Expelled from schools and even daycare (yes, at 2yro his daycare said not to bring him back til he saw a therapist).

We have two biological children as well. No mental health concerns or red flags.

Seeing how my three children were raised together, I contribute my middle son's mental health issues to genetics.
sarasunshine99
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Passive Aggressive...which, in my opinion, causes nothing but absolute irritation and anger to the recipient, especially when regarding ones child.    

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:09 PM
I went to tell ds' grandparents that I plan on keeping ds away for now bc of the lies his dad (grandma's son) has been saying... that I'm too the point where I'm done with it and I feel like my hand is being forced.

Before that though, they said the only thing they heard from ds' biodad is he's pissed child support got him and he wants to sign over rights (but can't).... then gma's bf said that.... I thought he was gonna say he doesn't doubt ds is his son bc they look alike (spitting image), but instead, he says this.... now I'm wondering wtf "mental problems" ds has that neither me nor his therapist has seen... therapist bc ds was going through some things, along with his dad ignoring him again- I wanted him to open up.

I'm supposed to go back tomorrow to finish this conversation.

Quoting bustybee: I'd be pretty insulted..... What prompted this person to say that?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Hes never been kicked outta anything. One "fight" when he was 4 (hit another kid)... he goes to a therapist but it's because he was going through a lot, plus his dad ignoring him. But he wasn't acting out badly... he's overall a VERY easy going kid. He does take meds for his adhd, but by the time schools out, it's outta his system.

I just feel like it's something that can't be SEEN.... and if he did have mental problems, wouldn't the therapist have seen it?

Quoting Anonymous: There's a genetic component to mental illness.

My middle son is adopted. Both of his parents had serious mental health issues. He has been with is since they passed away (at their own hands), 7mo old. He will be 10yro in the spring. His troubles began around 2yro. He has been tested, seen counselors, therapists, psychiatrists, and has been put on medications. He has so many behavioral problems and can be absolutely frustrating some days. There are days I wish I could bring his bio parents back to life just so I can smack them both! He's been kicked out of clubs. Expelled from schools and even daycare (yes, at 2yro his daycare said not to bring him back til he saw a therapist).

We have two biological children as well. No mental health concerns or red flags.

Seeing how my three children were raised together, I contribute my middle son's mental health issues to genetics.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)