Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarten already starting advanced classes?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 168 Replies
When I picked DD up today, she told me she started a new math class in the library, with only a few kids from the entire kindergarten. When I got home, I found a letter in her binder that said through the month of February she will have an advanced math class in the library 3 times a week, so the children can get individual attention.

They will be learning (and this is a quote from the letter) "basic operations, algebraic thinking, spatial relations, logic, data collection and display, and measurement".

Don't get me wrong, I think it's fantastic, I've just never heard of advanced classes in kindergarten, have you?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:21 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:24 PM
2 moms liked this

No, not that young.  I wish DD had had access to those.  Her teachers put her in charge of "helping" all the other kids who couldn't understand the stuff she had already mastered.  

HumanBeing
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that's great! My oldest was doing lessons in first, second, third and fourth grade during his kindergarten year. They call it blended learning.

Personally I think your school library math program for individual attention sounds better. Most schools don't test for gifted until second grade so for truly advanced children it can be hard to keep then challenged in the grades below third.
SpnFulOfSugar
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Oldest ds was tested and placed in a gifted program in kindergarten. Most school usually start around kinder/1st grade.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Yes they have it in our school too.  They also have extra help classes for those that need extra help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Both my 21 yr old and 6 yr old are advanced in math. ( my 21 yr old just graduated with his bachelors . And will be a business manager next month for a state wide charter school )

Our 6 yr old is off the charts in math. He does however , have problems with the alphabet, and reading. We are working on it every day. It is a struggle. A struggle that has me wondering , he's so great with numbers , but why so bad with letters ?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:28 PM
This is basically a precursor to the gifted program.

Quoting HumanBeing: I think that's great! My oldest was doing lessons in first, second, third and fourth grade during his kindergarten year. They call it blended learning.

Personally I think your school library math program for individual attention sounds better. Most schools don't test for gifted until second grade so for truly advanced children it can be hard to keep then challenged in the grades below third.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:30 PM
Some people are just built that way. I was reading (and fully comprehending) books at age 4, and in 2nd grade was reading at a high school level.

Now math? Lol, once we moved past basic addition and subtraction I was completely lost.

Quoting Anonymous: Both my 21 yr old and 6 yr old are advanced in math. ( my 21 yr old just graduated with his bachelors . And will be a business manager next month for a state wide charter school )

Our 6 yr old is off the charts in math. He does however , have problems with the alphabet, and reading. We are working on it every day. It is a struggle. A struggle that has me wondering , he's so great with numbers , but why so bad with letters ?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:34 PM
It's funny because I'm an English major and DH and our oldest are math majors.

Grrr.
I almost feel like I'm not doing my part. Even though I do so much.

Quoting Anonymous: Some people are just built that way. I was reading (and fully comprehending) books at age 4, and in 2nd grade was reading at a high school level.

Now math? Lol, once we moved past basic addition and subtraction I was completely lost.

Quoting Anonymous: Both my 21 yr old and 6 yr old are advanced in math. ( my 21 yr old just graduated with his bachelors . And will be a business manager next month for a state wide charter school )

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I think it's ridiculous what they expect little kids to do

Last year they had my son in special classes for reading and math. They pulled him out of class EVERY DAY for 30 minutes to "help". BTW this was KINDERGARTEN.

Right before summer they sent home a paper wanting us to sign him up for a summer math workshop EVERY DAY from 9:40-11:10. They DIDN'T provide transportation and it was for the entire summer. We refused. WTF do they want a 5 year old who can do algebra? I was PISSED.

Fast forward to this year of 1st grade. He still gets the extra help for reading and we're working on his sight words. We just had his parent teacher confrence a few weeks ago and he has gotten a 100% on EVERY math test so far this year. Figure that one out. I believe 100% that they just wanted him enrolled for the extra funding.

And NO..I don't believe the extra help in kindergarten is why he is doing well in math THIS year. The whole reason WHY they wanted him "in this program" was because "he wasn't where he needed to be".  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)