Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling all home remedy moms!!

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:27 PM
  • 49 Replies
I have some bad head congestion left over from a sinus infection. I really don't want more antibiotics and OTC meds usually don't work for me.

So does anyone have any good home remedies or tricks??
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jowens8907
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:32 PM
Bump?
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Rinse your nose out with warm salt water. It will sting at first but will feel better. Garlic is a natural antibiotic as well.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:36 PM
Are you currently breast feeding?

I usually am mostly home remedy but for congestion I use nose spray. Salt water doesn't do it for me.
Miranda1127
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:39 PM

there is a really good tea called breath easy (or maybe it's breath right). I can't remember the brand/co that puts it out but you can find it in the tea isle w/all other tea 'flavors'. I've gotten it at several different markets so it shouldn't be to hard to find.

Anyway, I have really bad allergies that mostly effect me through the sinuses. When it gets really bad and nothing else (I don't medicate other than over the counter allergy meds) will open and clear my sinuses I have a couple cups of this tea and it clears it up almost instantaneously. It also helps to clear up lung issues from post nasal drip.

The Hat Rack!!                             Home of hand made novelty hats!       

jowens8907
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:39 PM
No I'm not. Do you use OTC nasal spray or a Rx?

Quoting Retrokitty: Are you currently breast feeding?

I usually am mostly home remedy but for congestion I use nose spray. Salt water doesn't do it for me.
jowens8907
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:40 PM
How would I get the water up there?

Quoting owl0210: Rinse your nose out with warm salt water. It will sting at first but will feel better. Garlic is a natural antibiotic as well.
crysiann
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:41 PM
Lemon grass oil really helps me. I mix a couple of drops with olive oil, and rub it on my temples and nostrils. Also I take colloidal silver.
cjsix
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Garlic ic a natural antibiotic...add 1/2 - 1 tsp to soup etc...

Vitamin c is good for boosting the immune system ...take 2000mg while sick 1500 mg otherwise

Lemon juice,honey...both good for immune system and honey is a natural antibiotic...with hot water.

I also am learning that there are many good things with pine...using different parts for different things. Pine needles(that the trees haven't been sprayed) in a pan of hot simmering water is suppose to be good for what you are talking about.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Peppermint tea. Hot hot hot shower/bath, Use the steam from it.
LuvmyAiden
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Garlic, honey, apple cider vinegar, eucalyptus oil and a great many other things will all help specific symptoms. Just go to websites like wellnessmama.com or other holistic/homeopathic/homesteading type sites. There are SO many recipes and all of them are good for you. No chemicals, no side effects.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)