Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WWYD?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Currently im a SAHM. 

I was working for a dentist who decided to fire me out of no where. When I asked why she first said because I "refused" to do paperwork (untrue). I reminded her that SHE is the one that said she would do it until I became familiar with the company and learned their programming (one that was not taught in my schooling, and is "one of a kind"- its what this company came up with so there was no way to be trained and knowledgable with it unless youve been working it) 

Then she back peddled and kept saying "Well is just not working out". I asked WHAT wasnt working out. She said "its just not. And legally I don't need a reason to let you go" 

and that was that. 

Ive been a SAHM since, because every interview I go on, they want to know why I was fired after two months. I have no answer. And they probably assume I just simply don't want to tell them, and no one wants to hire someone they are unsure about when they will be dealing with patients. Can't say that I blame them. 

Its frustrating. 

SO and I have decided to move out of state. There's nothing keeping us here. But because we're moving if I wanted to stay in the same career field, I would have to go through the certification all over again ($10,000- AGAIN). 

Im not sure what to do. 

Go to school all over again (its about a 1 year program) for the exact same thing, work a minimum wage job, or find a new path, and go to school for something else? 

Im really not in love with the career I chose. Its not bad. but its not all that great either. 

This last company I worked for specialed in treating the elderly, and making dentures...and theres no way I can go back to that! i was bit, punches, cussed out, screamed at,spit on... Many of them had alzheimer's and dementia, or something like that.

Children and adults were a lot easier- but still not something i was 1000% passionate about. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:44 PM
Are you a dental assistant?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM

yes

Quoting owl0210: Are you a dental assistant?

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM
I think its post like this that differenciate between a SAHP or a housewife and someone who is just unemployed. You are unemployed and looking for a career path.

If you aren't absolutely in love with whatever you are doing then change up. Find something that you do love. Because staying in a career that doesn't bring you joy will take a toll on you eventually
vwd_johnson
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM
I'd probably find something new that I was 100% interested in and that I knew had a high demand.

Now really though, you worked there 2 months and still didn't figure out how to do the paperwork? That sounds like a bad worker.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM
I'll admit I didn't read the entire post. It was just too much while taking care of my 3 yrbold.

I do know that the dentist I was seeing fired an assistant who I thought was great. I actually didn't know she was fired until I saw her in the dollar store. I knew her face but couldn't place it. She remembered me and my family. ( in a great way )
Whe she told me she was fired I was actually upset. She was the most personable staff there.

Sorry toward about this. I hope things work out well for you in the long run.
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM
You could always tell future employers that it wasn't a good fit. The money is decent though right? My fiance is a dentist and pays his two assistants $28/hr.

Quoting Anonymous:

yes

Quoting owl0210: Are you a dental assistant?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I was taught how to do it. I spent a few days learning the program before i even started working with the patients. then they (not the dentist but the "big wigs" told me they wanted to take over because it was a very demaning job (it was mobile dentistry- paper work had to be done at home) and the dentist i was assigned to was also new to the company. so she was getting into the swing of their rules and how they worked, i was getting into it, it was a huge mess really. 

i was hired with the understanding we would be done with patience and home no later than 3pm, and then would have til 5 for paper work. that wasnt happening, we werent getting home until 6pm...

big wigs used the excuse that the dentist needed time to get used to how they worked, and said they wanted to do paper work until things were on track. 

next thing i know they are claiming i refused to do the papers. 

if i would have known from the beginning that it would have been the way it was, i never would have accepted the job. they told me when they hired me that they had trouble keeping assistants. said it was just too demaning of a job and it was "too different" than working in a normal office. our day started at 7am. if i came home at 6 and started on paper work i wouldnt get done until 9pm....

unacceptable! 

Quoting vwd_johnson: I'd probably find something new that I was 100% interested in and that I knew had a high demand.

Now really though, you worked there 2 months and still didn't figure out how to do the paperwork? That sounds like a bad worker.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:03 PM

it was a blessing in disgusise really. the job would have been great for a single, career obsessed, person with no kids. but the job i was hired for was not the job they threw at me. i wanted so badly for it to work but once it was over it really was a relief. 

Quoting Anonymous: I'll admit I didn't read the entire post. It was just too much while taking care of my 3 yrbold.

I do know that the dentist I was seeing fired an assistant who I thought was great. I actually didn't know she was fired until I saw her in the dollar store. I knew her face but couldn't place it. She remembered me and my family. ( in a great way )
Whe she told me she was fired I was actually upset. She was the most personable staff there.

Sorry toward about this. I hope things work out well for you in the long run.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:08 PM

It's alzheimer's and dementia. I used to work in that field as well look into being a pharmacy technician a little more money and you can take one class (150-300 at a community college). That should prepare you for certification.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

It's alzheimer's and dementia. I used to work in that field as well look into being a pharmacy technician a little more money and you can take one class (150-300 at a community college). That should prepare you for certification.

i knew that didnt look right. was too lazy to figure it out while nursing the baby though.

haha thanks, ill fix it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)