Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let your kid go?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:57 PM
  • 20 Replies

For the record my answer was no not unless i''m there to supervise but apparently everyone thinks I'm nuts and I'm wondering if other moms would also say no or let her go.

my dd is 11 years old and in 6th grade. She is on the school running team. its thru the ny road runners program and they don't actually compete with other schools its more like individual competition. She has practice/training twice  a week with her coaches. Weather permitting she will sometimes run with other team mates/ runners near the school in the school yard  by my house etc...  She's only been running with them since September.  her coaches recently moved her up to the advanced group because she's really good.  They told her with hard work she could end up being one of the fastest kids to come out of her middle school. The group she's been moved to is all boys and older than she is. mostly 8th graders but there are 2 boys who are now in hs who still train after school with the same coach. She is well supervised when she's running with the coaches.   one of the boys she is with is my older dd's ex boyfriend.  i know  him very well.  its because of him that my dd got into running in the first place  from going to see  his races and he would practice with her near my house all summer long.

here is the issue.  her group plans on going to a local park.  its about 2 miles away from my house and its a huge huge park.  She actually just ran a  4 mile there last month. it is a great place to run.  The group is going on their own without coaches or supervision. These boys are 14,15 and a cpl of 13 year olds. there are 2 other boys who want to get better who are also going.   my odd's ex boyfriend i know well and he's a good kid in general but its a 2 mile run thru city streets to get there  they plan on running 4-6 miles thru prospect park and then 2 miles back. its alot different then trusting him to watch her run around the school yard. .  The other older boy that will be there i know sorta a lil.  not known for his smart decisions at all.   This is a kid who thought it would be a good idea to play catch with a baby kitten they found. 

She thinks i'm treating her like a baby for not letting her go without me.  Sorry for it being so long i just didn't want to leave out any details.

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ramita
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:59 PM
No I wouldn't feel comfortable with that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:01 PM
No I don't think I would, although admittingly mine are younger so I don't have a lot of experience with that age
LuvmyAiden
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Kids disappear all the time. I wouldn't do it. But that's just me.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Through Prospect Park........I wouldn't either

Quoting Msgme:

For the record my answer was no not unless i''m there to supervise but apparently everyone thinks I'm nuts and I'm wondering if other moms would also say no or let her go.

my dd is 11 years old and in 6th grade. She is on the school running team. its thru the ny road runners program and they don't actually compete with other schools its more like individual competition. She has practice/training twice  a week with her coaches. Weather permitting she will sometimes run with other team mates/ runners near the school in the school yard  by my house etc...  She's only been running with them since September.  her coaches recently moved her up to the advanced group because she's really good.  They told her with hard work she could end up being one of the fastest kids to come out of her middle school. The group she's been moved to is all boys and older than she is. mostly 8th graders but there are 2 boys who are now in hs who still train after school with the same coach. She is well supervised when she's running with the coaches.   one of the boys she is with is my older dd's ex boyfriend.  i know  him very well.  its because of him that my dd got into running in the first place  from going to see  his races and he would practice with her near my house all summer long.

here is the issue.  her group plans on going to a local park.  its about 2 miles away from my house and its a huge huge park.  She actually just ran a  4 mile there last month. it is a great place to run.  The group is going on their own without coaches or supervision. These boys are 14,15 and a cpl of 13 year olds. there are 2 other boys who want to get better who are also going.   my odd's ex boyfriend i know well and he's a good kid in general but its a 2 mile run thru city streets to get there  they plan on running 4-6 miles thru prospect park and then 2 miles back. its alot different then trusting him to watch her run around the school yard. .  The other older boy that will be there i know sorta a lil.  not known for his smart decisions at all.   This is a kid who thought it would be a good idea to play catch with a baby kitten they found. 

She thinks i'm treating her like a baby for not letting her go without me.  Sorry for it being so long i just didn't want to leave out any details.

I'M CLASSY, SASSY WITH A BIT OF SMART ASS THROWN IN PIC

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:03 PM
I'd let her go. They will be running, not stealing from stores and having sex in an alley way. Does she have a phone? Download an app so that you can GPS her any time.
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:04 PM

I don't think that I would either. Maybe if you made her sister go.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:07 PM
You live in Brooklyn? Or is there a Prospect Park somewhere else in the country?

Half of me is saying yes, let her do it because you know the neighborhood and the kids. But the other half of me knows that people get stabbed in the butt over there for no reason.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Hmmm.. that one is a toughie...I would have to really know the area to say yes/no for sure.

If it is a nice area and you do know some of the other kids, then I would let her go. Make ure she bring a cell phone and water along with her.

If it is a creepy/bad area then, NO.

Msgme
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Quoting Anonymous: I'd let her go. They will be running, not stealing from stores and having sex in an alley way. Does she have a phone? Download an app so that you can GPS her any time.

its not sex or stealing i'm worried about. its running thru brooklyn and thru prospect park.  Bad things happen in that park sometimes.  if your not familiar iwth it its like letting your 11 year old run thru central park with no adult supervision.

instant
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM

No i woudlnt let my daughter go. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)