Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

wearing the pregnant belly

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:22 PM
  • 60 Replies
My sister is taking a health class in high school this semester. They have to wear a pregnant belly that adds 30lbs and makes u look pregnant for half of a day. My sister is a pretty big girl and she told my mom she doesn't feel comfortable wearing the belly. My mom told her she would write a not to school saying that my sister dOesn't have to wear it.
I completely disagree. I told my mom and my sister it was up to them but I personally think that things will be worse if she doesn't wear the belly because kids will want to know why she's not doing it. If she says it's because my mom signed saying I didn't have to do too a health condition the kids are going to know why and they will laugh. Also I think it's good for kids to learn what it feels like to be pregnant in high school for ur peers to give you that look for even a day.
She asked me if I would feel comfortable I said no but I was pregnant at 16 and I walked around with the belly every day because it was my reality. Also the point is for you to feel uncomfortable so u understand that teen pregnancy isn't fun and it isn't something that u just do.
I told her despite weight unless my kids develop some crazy health condition between now then they will wear the belly and I will make them take that class.
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vwd_johnson
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:25 PM
2 moms liked this
Shes already overweight, so what is she concerned about the belly doing? People will find ways to pick on her if she doesn't, just like you said. I think its a great idea.

But damn, 30lbs, that would suck to carry around on your body all day haha. And fitting in desks.
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:26 PM
Its damn if you do, damn if you dont.
mamaBerg85
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:50 PM
She said you only wear it during class time but I'm sure the you can't fit into desk, its uncomfortable, and embarrassing is the point. Its only for a school day not for 9 months. The point is for you at the end of the day to say man that sucked I don't want to go through for real.

Quoting vwd_johnson: Shes already overweight, so what is she concerned about the belly doing? People will find ways to pick on her if she doesn't, just like you said. I think its a great idea.

But damn, 30lbs, that would suck to carry around on your body all day haha. And fitting in desks.
Gardeningmom4
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:04 PM
I agree. Barring a serious health issue she needs to do it.
polkaspots
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:06 PM
I wouldn't have done it in high school and I wouldn't make dd do it either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
theosgirl45
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:08 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't really see the point in the belly.  Its not like anyone is going to think its real.  I don't see what this is teaching them about pregnancy.  I like the microchipped baby idea a lot better.  Dealing with a baby its going to be a lot harder than wearing a pregnant belly around school along with all the other kids in heatlh class.

“Some birds are not meant to be caged, that's all. Their feathers are too bright, their songs too sweet and wild. So you let them go, or when you open the cage to feed them they somehow fly out past you. And the part of you that knows it was wrong to imprison them in the first place rejoices, but still, the place where you live is that much more drab and empty for their departure.”

mamaBerg85
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:42 PM
They do both I think it's great

Quoting theosgirl45:

I don't really see the point in the belly.  Its not like anyone is going to think its real.  I don't see what this is teaching them about pregnancy.  I like the microchipped baby idea a lot better.  Dealing with a baby its going to be a lot harder than wearing a pregnant belly around school along with all the other kids in heatlh class.

mamaBerg85
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Could u elaborate?

Quoting polkaspots: I wouldn't have done it in high school and I wouldn't make dd do it either.
jupiter5
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Um do the boys wear it? No so it's sexist and I would fight it.
polkaspots
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:45 PM
That is not a project I would have participated in when I was in high school, and if my daughter was in a class that did it and felt strongly about not doing it, I would not force her to. It doesn't seem appropriate to me to have teenage girls dressing up like mommies.

Quoting mamaBerg85: Could u elaborate?

Quoting polkaspots: I wouldn't have done it in high school and I wouldn't make dd do it either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)