Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD made a 70% on her reading test. WTF TEACHER?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies

When school started the teacher told us she wanted all the kids to read their library book 3 times before taking the AR test on it, and she NEVER wanted them to take the test if they felt they werent ready to. (I only made DD read them once- maybe twice if its a somewhat longer book)

Before Christmas break DD was reading at home daily and was always ready to take her tests the next day. but the teacher wouldnt always let her, said they didnt have time for AR tests that day, or whatever. Now, since being back from break, the teacher is MAKING them take tests daily (which i was not told). Monday DD only read her book once (which is really all she ever needs, she understands it fine), she made a 100% (shes never made below 100% on the AR tests) Yesterday was hectic and for the first time all year, I didnt have DD reading. Figured it was fine, most likely the teacher wouldnt have them testing anyways, and if so DD could simply say she wasnt ready. 

Wrong. She came home today upset. I asked what was wrong and said she made a 70% on her test. I asked her if she read the book in class or something- "no". Why did you test on it then? "Because the teacher made me" She MADE you? Did you tell her you didnt read the book? "Yes but she didnt listen".

WTF TEACHER? 

Its only first grade. Im really no worried about 1 bad grade but I wish this teacher would stay consistant on what she expects from us and the students. Shes pregnant, hormonal, and changes her mind on a lot of things constantly, and takes off for "personal days" at least half of the time. Its hard to keep up.

And no im not really BLAMING her for my DD making the 70%. We should have figured out a better way to manage the hecticness and find a time to read. But it would have been nice if she would have stuck to the "if you aren't ready- DONT TEST" thing. or at least have DD read the book first. 

Because some people arent understanding: Im not upset at the grade. its one grade. its the only low grade shes had. Before today shes never made below a 95% on any of her tests (AR, spelling, anything) 

My frustration is that the teacher keeps changing the rules (not just with the AR tests) and she doesnt tell anyone what shes wanting to happen. so no one ever knows what theyre supposed to do. Obviously I should have made time for DD to read (my mistake- the ONE day i didnt have her read). but we were told that she understood crap happens, things come up, and if DD wasnt ready to test it was no big deal. So thats just one example of how shes not being clear about the expectations. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:11 PM

The school board probly cracked down on her and made her do it. 

MelaniesMama
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:13 PM
2 moms liked this

sooo, you're mad at the teacher for you're irresponsible parenting?

sophiasmommy27
by Sarah Sweetheart on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:13 PM
I'm flipping lost..
what are AR tests?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Those things are so stupid. My son is a horrible computer test taker and thinks its cool to do the tests no matter what and his teacher allows them to take a test on whatever book whenever they want so most of his grades on those things are awful even though he's reading above grade level.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Did you even read the post? 

Quoting MelaniesMama:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Quoting sophiasmommy27: I'm flipping lost..
what are AR tests?

Accelerated reading tests. I don't think every school does them.

but you read a book and then take a test on the computer 

sophiasmommy27
by Sarah Sweetheart on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:17 PM
wow.
good lord.
smh.
stupid.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sophiasmommy27: I'm flipping lost..

what are AR tests?

Accelerated reading tests. I don't think every school does them.

but you read a book and then take a test on the computer 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:18 PM

they are dumb. i remember doing them in school. 

They have ID numbers on the books here, so unless you just use a random ID number, you really cant test on a book you didn't check out from the library. 

Quoting Anonymous: Those things are so stupid. My son is a horrible computer test taker and thinks its cool to do the tests no matter what and his teacher allows them to take a test on whatever book whenever they want so most of his grades on those things are awful even though he's reading above grade level.

MelaniesMama
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:18 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes, I read it as 'i didn't make my kid do her homework & she failed a test'. Wasn't that the gist of it?

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you even read the post? 

Quoting MelaniesMama:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:18 PM
Lesson learned. Read every night.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)