Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

RE: Hey non tippers....

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:21 PM
  • 15 Replies

Not  that I don't  tip   because  I always do.   My cousin  is a life long waitress and  I know  how  much  they  rely on their tips...   

But  I happeed to see this  go past my page:

http://www.kfiam640.com/articles/local-news-465708/antitipping-revolution-brewing-11955661/

Anti-Tipping Revolution Brewing

There's a revolution brewing against tipping at restaurants.

Andrew Freeman, founder and head of the hospitality communications agency, Andrew Freeman & Co, issues annual reports about the latest trends in dining and restaurants, and he says some restaurants are thinking about ditching tips and just charging a service fee.

Some people say that tipping is bad for servers who are probably getting paid less than minimum wage, and bad for customers who aren't getting better service.

Freeman says a lot of European restaurants have already replaced tips with a service fee, and he says upscale American restaurants may follow suit.

--Rob Archer

Read more: http://www.kfiam640.com/articles/local-news-465708/antitipping-revolution-brewing-11955661/#ixzz2pqtYkzrY

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Some restaurants already do automatic gratuity fees for large parties... I hate when they do that. 

imakehimscream
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:28 PM
I tip all the time. I went and got my eyebrows waxed today. I gave her 4.00 tip
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:30 PM
I tip depending on the service.
elizabooks
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Why? Do you think it causes poor service?

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Some restaurants already do automatic gratuity fees for large parties... I hate when they do that. 

chicklopez
by ItsFunnierInEnochian on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:34 PM

hopefully this goes through everywhere and not just "upscale" restaurants. Maybe we'd get better people out there being servers if they knew their livelihood didnt depend on how someone else viewed them. 

bowribbonmama
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM
One time I went to Rainforest Cafe and they tried counting my 3 year old as a 'party member'. She wasn't even 6 months old at the time.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

MommyChance
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM
We considered going to a higher wage and advertising a "no tipping" restaurant. After much discussion about having to raise our prices and possibly downsize our staff, we decided it wasn't possible for us.
I've never liked the idea of an automatic gratuity. Even though we had the option of adding gratuity to larger tables, I rarely did.
I don't have an issue with our current system. Yes, sometimes it feels like you get screwed because someone isn't willing to pay you for the job you did, but there are those that go above and beyond too.
GotSomeKids
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:38 PM

There are a few high end restarants in New York ditching the tips, payoing their employee more and just raising their prices.  They say its also a fiasco dealing with tips and the IRS.

AnastasiaKorsh
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:40 PM
I don't see a problem.
Rust.n.Gears
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:42 PM
I love traveling out of this country. Most countries i go to do not use the tipping practice. Tipping is a horrible thing that needs to be done away with for the employees sake. They need a standard pay like everyone else.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)