Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 yr old ds has a fever

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:32 PM
  • 11 Replies
Let me start off saying I'm already taking him to the doctor tomorrow if he still has the fever.
I used a thermometer on his forehead and it's saying 100 degrees. He hasn't been pulling on his ears, no teeth are trying to come through (I checked) he's acting tired all the time even after a 2 hr nap. Loss of appetite (he used to eat everything we gave him and would want seconds) and just not his happy energetic self. Any ideas?
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:35 PM

my 13 month old had a 102.7 fever the other day. it was the only symptom she had. it ended up being the flu.

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM
100 is not bad. Increase fluids, let him rest, and let him eat what he is interested in. He's probably fighting off a bug. Keep an eye on him, it's possible his fever will spike tonight.
the_dude
by abides on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:42 PM

this. 

Quoting ame85: 100 is not bad. Increase fluids, let him rest, and let him eat what he is interested in. He's probably fighting off a bug. Keep an eye on him, it's possible his fever will spike tonight.

you need to get to the er if he hits 103, anything below that, is his immune system doing it's job.

momoftwoboys12
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:03 PM
The only reason I'm concerned is because my oldest had ecoli at 2 weeks old and my 1 yr old got ahold of a couple of small pieces of raw meat and I don't want the same issue. I've kinda been letting him do his own think (laying around, eating when he wants and giving him fluids)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Just because he isn't pulling at his ears doesn't mean he doesn't have an ear infection.  I just don't think you should rule that out with his only real symptom being a fever.  We have had lots of ear infections(just got out tubes a few weeks ago) and some came with pulling and some without.

momoftwoboys12
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:09 PM
I kinda figured the doctor would say either teething or eat infection. I just don't take fevers lightly anymore because of what happened with my oldest ds. He's had it for almost 48 hrs now (it will be 48 hrs tomorrow)

Quoting Anonymous:

Just because he isn't pulling at his ears doesn't mean he doesn't have an ear infection.  I just don't think you should rule that out with his only real symptom being a fever.  We have had lots of ear infections(just got out tubes a few weeks ago) and some came with pulling and some without.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I understand that for sure.  Its hard to just be nonchalant when one of your kids is sick. Even if its not a deadly disease lol.  To me him having it 48 hours means its def. something more than teething. Hopefully it is something very minor. And all the worrying is unnecessary. Good Luck.

Quoting momoftwoboys12: I kinda figured the doctor would say either teething or eat infection. I just don't take fevers lightly anymore because of what happened with my oldest ds. He's had it for almost 48 hrs now (it will be 48 hrs tomorrow)

Quoting Anonymous:

momoftwoboys12
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:14 PM
Thanks, I'm sure when I take him they'll say teething/ear infection but it's better to be safe than sorry

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand that for sure.  Its hard to just be nonchalant when one of your kids is sick. Even if its not a deadly disease lol.  To me him having it 48 hours means its def. something more than teething. Hopefully it is something very minor. And all the worrying is unnecessary. Good Luck.

Quoting momoftwoboys12: I kinda figured the doctor would say either teething or eat infection. I just don't take fevers lightly anymore because of what happened with my oldest ds. He's had it for almost 48 hrs now (it will be 48 hrs tomorrow)

Quoting Anonymous:

TrouserMouse
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:14 PM
I wouldn't even take him to the doctor unless he started showing signs of dehydration, was having trouble breathing, fever got very high and would not come down with medication, or lasted several days with no improvement. That's just me though.
Thunderbug75
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:21 PM

100 really is not even considered a high temp.  But I do understand your concern.  As long as you keep pushing fluids I think you will be OK.  Getting an ear check or a strep test may not be a bad idea though.  I live in WI and in our area  strep is going around....big time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)