Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meth Addict ExH Wants To Try Again

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

I met my exH when I was 21. I already had a child from a previous relationship. He was a great guy. He went out of his way to do nice things for me and we were always together. But he had a past. He told me was a former meth addict, but he was clean now. I was very naive then and had no idea what meth was and the hold it could take on people. And he wasn't showing me anything but what a great guy he was. I fell in love with him. A year later, he proposed. We got married 6 months later. And he fell back into the addiction almost immediately after...but I didn't know what that was. He started being gone for hours at a time at night. Hours turned into overnight. And that turned into days. He became aggressive and psychologically and physically abusive (to me). He even broke my finger and it is permanently damaged. There was a lot of lying.  It took me two years to leave. When I left, he finally told me what was going on (I already knew by then). But he was in denial "I don't have a problem" and "I'm not addicted". I gave him the chance to go to rehab and he refused. So I left and we were divorced several months later. I tried to start dating. I can never seem to find someone I really click with. Not like I did him. He went to prison six months after our divorce. A few months later, I received a letter which has started a long, drawn out process of us talking, venting, and getting our problems out. He is very open now about his use, that he was totally in the wrong. He said it was his fault our marriage ended and that he rekindled his addiction. We have been talking for almost 9 months now through letters. He asked me if I wanted to try again. I do. I still love him. But somehow...I feel like I should know better. I am a huge advocate for recovering addicts...I just don't know if I can take that risk.  He was the only dad my daughter has ever known and he has been out of her life for almosts 3 years. But I don't want to have this happen to me again. I know that meth addicts have a high chance at relapse. But I still love him. Would you take the chance? Or run?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:57 PM

BUMP!

furbabymum
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

He asking for money on his commissary account?

There is a % of the population that benefits from rehab in prison. The rest just learn new ways to hurt people. I work with criminal defendant's. Meth  in particular. There is very little remorse and a whole lot of using. They are masters at manipulation. Don't buy it. Stay away. Protect yourself and your child.

studentmommyy
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:01 PM

RUN AWAY. 

rileysmommy229
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I really think you need to move on.

BEXi
by BEXi on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:05 PM

He sounds like a manipulator and I wouldnt fall for it again. Im sorry.

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Walk away. He's not worth it and I'm sorry but unless he's clean for several years I wouldn't even talk to him.

Anniversary
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Inmates are always in love and changed while locked up
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:08 PM

You would be an absolute IDIOT to try again (not to mince words). Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

lunyuny
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:08 PM
Not a good idea
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:11 PM

It it were just you risking your life and well being getting with him that would be one thing. By you have your daughter's life in your hands and she does not deserve to be put in danger for your emotions and desires. It DOES NOT benefit her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)