Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 1/2 Year Old Son Still Not Fully Potty Trained....Help! PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:58 PM
  • 17 Replies

My son Nathan is having trouble with potty training. He is 4 1/2. He didn't start fully going pee in the potty with no accidents until right at age 4. Now we have been trying to get him to go poo in the potty and it's a battle everyday. He will have some markings in his underwear like he has tried to go or has held it in. When we see this we put him on the potty to try and go and he cries and screams like he's scared. We don't know why or what to do. There are a lot of times he just goes in his underwear. If I smell it, I will ask him if he went poo and he always says "I Don't Know" when he has gone. It's like he doesn't care to go in his underwear at all. We've tried rewardarding him if he went in the potty, but he wasn't interested. My other two boys were potty trained around age 3 so I am at a loss of what to do. DH and I have had some family members comment that he is just being lazy. I hope this makes sense. I have only made a few posts on here. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks ladies!

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyRose06
by Hufflepuff on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Idk, I hope someone has advice for you

evemomoftwo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:05 PM
I am also dealing with this. My dd will be 5 in april. I only have 2 kids and shes my oldest. I don't know what to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babebaby
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:08 PM
Do you put diapers or pull ups on him at all?
I would stop if so.
When I was potty training my son (now he was younger then your son but this may help) my ped told me to put him in a diaper and set him on the potty so he can feel what it is like to pop on the potty. Then get rid of the diaper. The ped said the sensation could scare him, once he learns there is nothing to be scared of going poop on the potty. Maybe a pooping reward chart. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:16 PM
My brother did that and my mom would give him half an emema and he had no choice to go. He was fine after that.
BmoreRavens
by Raven on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:46 PM
2 moms liked this

When one of my grandson's was approaching three, and still messing his pants, I got an idea!

He had the cutest boy Cabbage Patch doll that he loved! So, I asked him if his CP doll pooped in the potty would he poop in the potty like his CP doll, and grandson said YES!!

Well, I slipped a rolled up chocolate brownie into grandson's potty (without him seeing me do it), and I sat the CP doll on the potty for several seconds, and then I asked grandson to see how "Joey" did!

The look on grandson's face was priceless, he emptied the potty in the toilet and flushed, and hand to God he never once messed his pants, again!! :)

Momofboys22
by Sweetness on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
We put pull ups on him at night because he has accidents. He wears underwear during the day. Thank you for your suggestions. :-)

Quoting Babebaby: Do you put diapers or pull ups on him at all?

I would stop if so.

When I was potty training my son (now he was younger then your son but this may help) my ped told me to put him in a diaper and set him on the potty so he can feel what it is like to pop on the potty. Then get rid of the diaper. The ped said the sensation could scare him, once he learns there is nothing to be scared of going poop on the potty. Maybe a pooping reward chart. Good luck.

Kmary
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I did this with my middle son who was afraid to poop on the toilet (wearing a diaper while sitting on the toilet). It worked well and very fast!

Quoting Babebaby: Do you put diapers or pull ups on him at all?

I would stop if so.

Momofboys22
by Sweetness on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:33 AM

BUMP!

other_mother
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:37 AM

My sister bribed my nephew with a bicycle. It was hanging in the garage. He couldn't have it until he kept his pants clean and dry for a week. DD just started not having accidents, and she will be 5 in June. I didn't do anything except finally throw my hands in the air and tell her she was  in charge of where she pooped and peed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:43 AM

My son was EXACTLY the same way!   He would scream like he was TERRIFIED of the toilet (even the kiddie toilet).   He would hold it until we put him in a pull-up for overnight, and then he'd crap his pants.   We finally came to the conclusion that he needed to get to the point of doing it on his own.   So we relaxed.   We'd put out two pull-ups every night and tell him that, when he made one 'dirty', he needed to take it off himself and put it in a plastic bag (to be tied up and put in the garbage) and put on the clean one to sleep in.  

This went on for a few weeks.   But the less stressed we were about it, the less stressed HE was.   And one night he ran into the family room and announced that he had done it in the potty!!!     It wasn't an overnight miracle -- we still put out 2 pull-ups for a couple more months.   But he used the potty more often than not.   And by the time he started 1st grade, he was completely pull-up free.

Hang in there, Mom!   This, too, WILL pass!  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)