Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who gets the bigger room?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 77 Replies
We are adding on to soon to be DHs house. Currently it is a three bedroom and be has two kids. They are there three weekend a month. Neither of the kids room is really big enough to share. The kids are discussing who gets the new bigger room. My dd is with us full time. She is having to give up everything to move to a new house including her awesome school. Dh and I agreed she should get it for this reason and because she is the oldest.

His kids and ex think this is unfair. I think his kids already have room set up. It isn't going to be bigger by much. But we are letting her pick out the flooring and paint color within reason. We offered to let his kids pick new paint for their rooms too.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:09 PM
6 moms liked this

The child living there FULL TIME of course. Your step kids can deal with smaller. Kids all over the country manage to share rooms that are not grand in size.

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:10 PM

She is the oldest, she gets it.

noelgray
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Your daughter should. Like you said, his kids already have their rooms set up. I think offering to let them make over their rooms is very reasonable. 

Noel (25)
& Brandon (26)
TTC since March 1, 2008
Avery Drew (grew wings 1/5/08 at 6wks 3days gestation)
Skylar Dakota (grew wings 4/19/08 at 5wks 1day gestation)
Charlie Blake (grew wings 4/4/10 at 4wks 3days gestation)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:13 PM
These rooms are really small. Not enough room for two beds, dressers, and other stuff. Besides we figure there would be less resentment if each child retained their own room.

Quoting KairisMama:

The child living there FULL TIME of course. Your step kids can deal with smaller. Kids all over the country manage to share rooms that are not grand in size.

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:14 PM
This.

Quoting KairisMama:

TheFirstNoel
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Your DD should get the room. She is the one with you full-time, she should get the room. Please don't give in to your step-children. 

EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this
The kid that lives with you should get it.
No reason for it to sit empty most of the time.
They sound like spoiled brats.
RitaTequila531
by *JuStRITa* on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:17 PM
Your daughter should definitely get it. The one that lives there should get the biggest room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:18 PM
Not really spoiled brats. They were fine with it last time. Then must have said we were adding on and mom said something.

Quoting EmilysMom2010: The kid that lives with you should get it.

No reason for it to sit empty most of the time.

They sound like spoiled brats.
JenGo
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:20 PM
2 moms liked this

When I was growing up, the oldest always got first pick of the rooms. Seeing as she is the oldest and lives there full time, and not just on the weekends, the room should be hers.
Why should your husband's ex get to dictate how the home you and your hubby have together is set up? Not her house, not her choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)