Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does he have to give us a 30 day eviction notice??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
My landlord is a slumlord.

I'm a single mother and I want to move out for several reasons.

The heat went out there's no hot water etc

The problem is I can't afford to just up and move,I pay weekly and there's no signed lease,does he have to give us a 30 day notice to kick me out if I stop paying him or can he just kick us out??

I love in GA if that matters! I can afford to move out if I don't pay the rent for a week or two but paying weekly I just can't catch a break.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM
Bump!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Check your state landlord tenant laws. A lot of states consider heat and hot water to be necessities, and if he doesn't repair them, he could be in violation and you could take him to court, or deduct the cost of having it repaired from your own rent, or bill him for the service, or have him cited... You likely have options. I'd look it up for you, but I'm mobile and my mobile is crap.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Bump!
rocamom
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Call the housing athorities in your area.  Maybe they can help you get heat.  I would get out of there ASAP.

studentmommyy
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:18 PM

I lived in a place with no signed lease; so when I had to leave, I just packed up and left. I paid what I owed for that month and I just left. If there's no legally binding agreement, you can go. 

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Call the Housing Authority. He has to provide hot water & heat!

caligirl7613
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:19 PM
i totally agree. and OP im sorry my mobile is awful too. it only works in "text" mode...try asking your local housing authority as well! i believe though he does have to give a 30 day notice. especially if you can prove you pay bills, and have been getting mail there

Quoting Anonymous: Check your state landlord tenant laws. A lot of states consider heat and hot water to be necessities, and if he doesn't repair them, he could be in violation and you could take him to court, or deduct the cost of having it repaired from your own rent, or bill him for the service, or have him cited... You likely have options. I'd look it up for you, but I'm mobile and my mobile is crap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:21 PM
Thank you.

I don't want to stay here at all! I want to leave I just can't come up with the money while paying this idiot every week!

My mobile sucks too that's the only reason I haven't looked it up.

Quoting Anonymous: Check your state landlord tenant laws. A lot of states consider heat and hot water to be necessities, and if he doesn't repair them, he could be in violation and you could take him to court, or deduct the cost of having it repaired from your own rent, or bill him for the service, or have him cited... You likely have options. I'd look it up for you, but I'm mobile and my mobile is crap.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I would think if you only pay weekly, he can kick you out immediately if he wants to. You can do something about no heat & hot water though. Call or send an email, text, to whomever oversees that type of thing at your city hall, city council etc. and file a complaint as heat & hot water, heat especially is a necessity & cannot be turned off unless you've not paid your bill.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:28 PM
Document everything. If you request the heat be fixed, document the request by either having it mailed certified mail or put it in an email. Legally he can give you 10 days notice to be out, based on most states laws concerning month to month tenancy. If he refuses to fix the heat you should be able to get past not paying him while you save for another place if he takes you to court, as long as you have documentation as to when you requested it vs when you left.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)