Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog keeps injuring himself after surgery!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

He has a tumor removed from his side on monday. He has bust his stiches twice already! What am I suppose to do?

I am tired of paying for these stiches! He just scratches them open with his back legs! The emergency vet is no help saying "keep an eye on him." Which I have been but I've got to sleep sometime!

Advice? He has on a cone but the problem is he can reach there to scratch with his back legs. I cant tie his legs down so idk what to do! 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Foolynroo2
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:10 PM

how bit is he? can you fit a cone on his waist?

when our girl had stitches on her side we just put a t shirt on her, she did fine

rosie211
by I'm a nice one on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Mine had the same surgery. Thankfully I am a sahm so I was able to moniter him most of the time. After being fussed at over an over for scratching, he finally gave up. He healed up pretty quickly so it wasn't a concern for too long.

Mine had to get a cone as well because he had surgery on his ear at the same time. He did pull the stitches out of that from scratching and had to get a cone.

Hope yours gets better soon!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Quoting Foolynroo2:

when our girl had stitches on her side we just put a t shirt on her, she did fine

He is a cocker spaniel. Maybe 30 pounds? I'll try the shirt. I put socks on him and he started walking funny and somehow got them off lol. A shirt wont be so easy

Foolynroo2
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Put it on him like you normally would, head through head, front legs through arms then gather it and knot it at the back, shouldn't be tight but might be enough to let him not get at them so easily.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Foolynroo2:

He is a cocker spaniel. Maybe 30 pounds? I'll try the shirt. I put socks on him and he started walking funny and somehow got them off lol. A shirt wont be so easy

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Split the leg he's scratching with so he can't bend it. A stick and an ace wrap should do the trick. And put a cone on him so he can't get the splint off.

cbear2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Lmao ur a genious!
Iv worked with dogs 20yrs n have never even had.that thought cross my mind! Awesome idea! I jus wouldnt leave it like that long maybe.jus at night,

Quoting Anonymous:

Split the leg he's scratching with so he can't bend it. A stick and an ace wrap should do the trick. And put a cone on him so he can't get the splint off.

ktwister
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Been there before. Dog slept with me and we found a vet who watched him while we were at work.

There is a collar that limits theie neck movement and you can kennel them with it on. The space limitation of the kennel and collar prevents them from reaching the stitches.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)