Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can someone please explain this to me. Why do some people and doctors say

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:02 PM
  • 84 Replies

when you hold a baby to much you spoil them? How can you spoil a baby?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:02 PM
15 moms liked this
You leave them out on the counter too long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:05 PM
4 moms liked this

Because some people (mostly old people) think if you hold a baby too much they will get used to it & demand to be held all the time for years on end. It's kind of an old school thing in my oppinion. It's more acceptable to put your baby in a crib, in it's own room, shut the door & let it cry instead of actually holding & loving it. Sad, right?

Foolynroo2
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I don't know if a doctor would tell you that you're spoiling a child.

But it is health to allow your baby to learn a little self soothing,and give it an opportunity to explore its surroundings.

and of course a they get older, to learn to move around and such.

Nothing wrong with holding a baby - only when you have a 4 year old who screams if you put it down or can't walk because you carry it, would you be doing it any harm

destiny3513
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:07 PM
3 moms liked this

You can't spoil a baby. Toddler, yes. Baby, no way. 

superwoman8977
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Because if you hold a baby all the time he just demands more and more.  I limited my holding time and put my child on a strict schedule because I worked and was a single mom and it was much better for us.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Your job didn't limit the amount of time you had for your kid enough?

Quoting superwoman8977:

Because if you hold a baby all the time he just demands more and more.  I limited my holding time and put my child on a strict schedule because I worked and was a single mom and it was much better for us.

superwoman8977
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Babies don't need to be held and cuddled all the time and putting my baby on a strict schedule brought peace to our home. So what if I worked? My schedule (which my kids will always be on a schedule ) works a lot better than holding a baby 24/7 because the baby demands it

Quoting Anonymous: Your job didn't limit the amount of time you had for your kid enough?

Quoting superwoman8977:

Katkinson
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:36 AM

I think they believe they get used to the smell, warmth, and feel of having someone hold them and therefore cry if someone is not. 

I don't buy it though. 

lovemercygrace
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Quoting polkaspots: You leave them out on the counter too long.

YEah then they start smelling really funky..lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:37 AM

it is true if you hold a baby all the time, they dont want to be put down and will scream & cry until picked up again. Therefore the baby gets spoiled in that regard.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)