Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Landlord question *edited*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
So in July of 2013 my parents, dh, dh's 2 brothers, son, and I moved into a place where we were paying $100.00 a month in rent. Shortly after, DH's first brother "Bill" moved out. Not long after DH's other brother left too, on bad terms with the landlords. So it was my DH, son, parents, and I left.

My Dad lost his job, DH got a job but he was only getting paid so much. We became a month late on the rent. 2 weeks ago we discussed with the landlord's husband that we did intend to pay him for the month that we missed and we were going to try and pay it in small increments. We did pay her $50 as of today, half of the money owed.

Fast forward to today. We needed someone to watch our dog while we were away so DH's other brother "Nathan" offered to watch him for us. We get a call, not long after that, that landlord had called the cops because she discovered that Nathan was in our house. She told the cops that she didnt want him there so they put him in handcuffs. I came and got him and went back to where we were staying (before I had said vacation because we were looking at it that way, but really we are staying at a relatives a mile away because it is cold and landlord refuses to fix the heat in our house). Then DH goes back to the house on his break and the landlord had the door locked! She put a masterlock on it so it wouldnt open. We attempted to call and text her multiple times after that and she didnt answer. She eventually sent my husband a text message that said:

"no u bought _____ back here noing his boyfriend cause trouble and i was told he want to hurt me for change of address mess i don't need none of that here I have my grandkids to think about if u need to get something out text ahead i try to be nice and give u all some place to stay _____ lifts didn't say he was gone so he could come back as he please no one pays nothing but my husband and i'm not about to put up with no drama."

She is telling us, basically that if we need our stuff we have to text her ahead of time and let us know that we need it. She also is saying that we cannot come back. We are late on the rent but wouldnt she still have to give us 30 days notice? We did not have a lease with these people but we have proof that we have been paying them up until this point.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:19 PM

You mean away on vacation? Maybe if you were responsable tenants you wouldn't have problems like this.

GotSomeKids
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I don't know what state your in, but most states have a minimum 30 day notice policy.  A few even have 45 days.  Anyhow, regardless of what your situation is, she is breaking the law.  The law was put into place to avoid kicking out people into the streets, especially kids.

This includes people with no lease, because without the lease, it goes automatically to a month to month policy, which still requires notice to vacate.  Check with your renters rights policies.  The local city hall can probably direct you to the proper place.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
4 adults cannot come up with $100/month. Why would anyone want to rent to losers like you? What's your plan now?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Look into your states rental laws.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:26 PM

damn only $100 a month? And between all of you adults, you could only pay $50?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Whole lot of crazy right there.

Where do you live where rent is $100?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Legally they have to give you 30 days written notice.  If you've been making an attempt at paying the back rent and she's been accepting it then she doesn't have grounds to kick you out especially over someone that was a tenant.  Contact the housing authority.  They have free help in matters like this.  Also contact the police.  She can't hold your stuff hostage, it's illegal.  She can't lock you out, that is also illegal.

-42-
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:31 PM
100 bucks a month and you miss rent? What in the fuck shit, for real?
rosie211
by I'm a nice one on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:31 PM

I hate to say it but I kind of agree with this.

You can't get anything (not even crap) around here for that cost. Even a cheap, small place would cost 300. 

Why can't you all afford 100 a month? I could do that by myself and have tons of money left afterward (if I worked a minimum wage job). 

Quoting Anonymous: 4 adults cannot come up with $100/month. Why would anyone want to rent to losers like you? What's your plan now?

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Wait....What happened. I replied in this post. OP did  you make another post???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)