Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gay "tolerance vs acceptance"? and homosexuality in ancient cultures?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
2 moms liked this

If a friend posted this picture and someone responded to it:

"I have no words! Look how all ancient cultures behaved towards the homosexuals. Modern society is quite tolerant. There is a difference between tolerance and advocacy."

How would you respond to them? Right now I'm just not saying anything because this guy's an ass to engage with.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:38 PM

BUMP!

slashteddy
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Is he trying to say ancient cultures demonized and banned them, across the board? If so, he's an idiot.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Honestly, I don't care who marries who. But I will say that there is a difference between disagreeing with something and hating it/being intolerant. I don't agree with everything my family and loved ones do. But that doesn't mean I love them any less. People in society have mixed it all up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Does he really know his history? All ancient cultures? Don't Greek and Roman cultures count? Modern cultures are tolerant? Even the modern cultures that execute gays?
olivejuice2
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:44 PM
This.

In ancient Greece, I believe, homosexuality was tolerated as a preference on par with liking red heads or big butts. A guy might like guys, but that didn't prevent him from getting married to a woman. Ancient Greek men had a lot of sex with a lot of people. It was considered normal and good for a young man (late teens- early twenties) to apprentice to an older man, and it was normal for their relationship to be sexual.

Quoting slashteddy: Is he trying to say ancient cultures demonized and banned them, across the board? If so, he's an idiot.
slashteddy
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Yup. It was also common to have a marriage partner and a love partner - the first for reproduction, the second for the heart. It was sometimes believed that only homosexual relationships could fully satisfy the soul.

Quoting olivejuice2: This.

In ancient Greece, I believe, homosexuality was tolerated as a preference on par with looking red heads or big butts. A guy might like guys, but that didn't prevent him from getting married to a woman. Ancient Greek men had a lot of sex with a lot of people. It was considered normal and good for a young man (late teens- early twenties) to apprentice to an older man, and it was normal for their relationship to be sexual.

Quoting slashteddy: Is he trying to say ancient cultures demonized and banned them, across the board? If so, he's an idiot.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:42 AM

That's what I thought, and similar with Romans...

Quoting olivejuice2: This.

In ancient Greece, I believe, homosexuality was tolerated as a preference on par with liking red heads or big butts. A guy might like guys, but that didn't prevent him from getting married to a woman. Ancient Greek men had a lot of sex with a lot of people. It was considered normal and good for a young man (late teens- early twenties) to apprentice to an older man, and it was normal for their relationship to be sexual.

3JuJu3
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:47 AM

You're right.  People are more tolerant of gays than they have been in the past.  That doesn't mean that they are still not treated like shit compared to straight people.  For example, not having the same civil rights that everyone else enjoys is wrong.  And how people used to treat them in ancient cultures is irrelevant.  That's like saying it's okay for women not to vote because hey, at least we don't advocate killing them!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I agree it's irrelevant, but I don't think he's right about that anyway.

Quoting 3JuJu3:

You're right.  People are more tolerant of gays than they have been in the past.  That doesn't mean that they are still not treated like shit compared to straight people.  For example, not having the same civil rights that everyone else enjoys is wrong.  And how people used to treat them in ancient cultures is irrelevant.  That's like saying it's okay for women not to vote because hey, at least we don't advocate killing them!

3JuJu3
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:53 AM

He's not.  There's plenty of examples of other cultures throughout history who accept homosexuality as normal. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree it's irrelevant, but I don't think he's right about that anyway.

Quoting 3JuJu3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)