Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do we have any baseball moms here?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:28 PM
  • 106 Replies
Sorry this isnt drama, lol. Im just curious what you do.

My 10yo plays competitively, which means lits of practice, really more practice than playing. Which really reaks havic on a bat.

Of course we buy a bew bat every year, and we take care of them but i really want to extend their life span. Bats arent cheap. A "cheap" bat will run you 120 and a really good on upwards of 300.

Ok so heres my dilema. I was going to buy a beater bat for like 40 dollars to use at practice and in the cages. But should i do that? Is practicing with a different bat a bad idea?

So question....do you hav different bats for practic and for play? Is there an adjustment between bats?
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imthatgirl0607
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:16 AM

b

imthatgirl0607
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:23 AM

u

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:27 AM

lol...I consider myself a baseball mom-b/c I usually have 3 in the sport at a time...but it's not that seriously competitive...so I have no idea on what you should do.  

I would shop garage sales, used sports stores, get the best you could afford for both practices and games.  If they're used to the same bat, from practicing on, wouldn't they play better at the games with the same bat?

imthatgirl0607
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I figure there must e someone here who deals with this aspect of the sport. 

I don't buy used equipment. He has two great bats, both very expensive bats. I'm just not sure he should be using them for practice. 

I have the day off so I was going to buy the practice bat today, but thats my dilemma...will a practice bat hurt him? I don't want to hinder his swing. 

Thank for the reply. Are your kids playing or practicing right now?

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

lol...I consider myself a baseball mom-b/c I usually have 3 in the sport at a time...but it's not that seriously competitive...so I have no idea on what you should do.  

I would shop garage sales, used sports stores, get the best you could afford for both practices and games.  If they're used to the same bat, from practicing on, wouldn't they play better at the games with the same bat?

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Nope, they're in baseketball and wrestling now.  I've been thinking I should check the baseball's website soon though.  It's a little early here...there's wayyy too much snow out there to play baseball lol.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

I don't buy used equipment. He has two great bats, both very expensive bats. I'm just not sure he should be using them for practice. 

I have the day off so I was going to buy the practice bat today, but thats my dilemma...will a practice bat hurt him? I don't want to hinder his swing. 

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I've never spent more than 30 bucks for a bat and he hits just fine. lol. It's not the equipment that matters but the skill and dedication of the child.

imthatgirl0607
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:38 AM

We practice in doors at this time of year. I live in the north too. I can't wait to get outside.

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

Nope, they're in baseketball and wrestling now.  I've been thinking I should check the baseball's website soon though.  It's a little early here...there's wayyy too much snow out there to play baseball lol.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

imthatgirl0607
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:39 AM

While it's true that a bat won't make a great hitter...a good bat will take a great hitter to the next level. What a bat is made out of actually does matter.

Do your kids play competitively?

Quoting IhartU:

I've never spent more than 30 bucks for a bat and he hits just fine. lol. It's not the equipment that matters but the skill and dedication of the child.

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

lol, me too.  Everytime the sun shines on my face when I do step outside, it feels soooo good.  I pull down my scarf and breathe for a second.  Then close it back up and shovel some more lol.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

We practice in doors at this time of year. I live in the north too. I can't wait to get outside.

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

2pink1blue
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Ds is only 8 so his baseball schedule is not as intense as your DS's is but he uses the same bat most of the time.  He will occasionally take last years bat (same bat, slightly smaller) to the cages, which is here his bats seem to take on the most abuse but for team practice and games he does much better with his "lucky" bat.  I do think, for my DS, that he does better by not switching up the bats.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)