Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Holy Shit. My dad changed something for me. I don't even know how to react

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:45 PM
  • 2 Replies
My dad and I have a rocky relationship. He doesn't agree with my past decisions and even though I really am something to be proud of he still brings up stuff from like 8 years ago. The most hurtful thing my father has ever said to me was "You're on the right track but you're not there yet." It hurt so much because I knew that what he was really saying was "You're never going to be what I wanted" because I can't change the past. I can't erase 06-08 and he can't see that despite those years, I have a really good life.

Anyway. I didn't see him at Christmas. So we had plans to get together on Sunday. Now, weekends are REALLY hard for me because I work. They're really hard for him because he and his wife take their dogs to do agility and stuff. So...yeah. Nonetheless, I took off on a Sunday even though I just started at a new store. Well, two days ago he calls me and is like "I can't do Sunday. S (his wife) has plans with this [some dog thing]. We'll have to do Saturday."

I kind of lost my temper. I told him that just ONCE I would like him to recognize that I have a JOB. A well-paying job. With benefits. Which he bitched at me for not having (even though my husband worked full time) and that I can't just take off at the drop of a hat because I make the schedule for THIRTY other people and they're ACTUAL people not just random placeholders on a spreadsheet. I can't just move people around based on his wife's AKC whims! If he can't do Sunday he'll have to wait until the new semester is underway because I'm just going to be too busy until then. And then I was like "And it wouldn't hurt if you prioritized your daughter over your shelties every now and then."

Well, today he called me and was like "I can do Sunday. I told her I can't do the class on Sunday so she can either skip it or just go without me."

So I kind of sat there in silence and was like "Ok. Sunday's good."

My dad has NEVER EVER listened to me when I've complained to him about this. I don't even really BOTHER to complain anymore because he just turns it into something about how I should be grateful that he even wants to see me because I had a baby when I was 20 and got married at 20 and I don't have a master's degree yet and blah blah blah. But he didn't do that this time. He actually listened to me.

WHAT.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
SexyBurlapSack
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:48 PM

This is progress. Enjoy it!

vamaria
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Awesome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)