Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ask for donations at birthday party?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

My daughter has a great group of friends (since pre school) as well as some new additions. Every year she has a party and gets a bunch of expensive gifts. While my DD is greatful she would like to do things differently this year.

She has had a big passion for animals all her life. She volunteers at the animal shelter 3 times a week and is a vegetarian. The shelter is short of funding and as a result on equipment and food. She wants to help by having all her guests bring something to donate to the shelter in place of gifts.

How do we go about this? The party will be at an animal shelter (horse back riding) and she is turning 11. Of course we dont require the gifts, but DD is spoiled rotten and would rather if someone plans on buying her somethig, that money be spent on those less fortunate. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:52 PM
2 moms liked this

In honor of {DD}'s birthday, we are hosting a fundraiser  in lieu of birthday gifts for {shelter}....

That way there's no question

thetrollcat
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I would donate

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Sounds like the perfect wording to me.

Quoting Anonymous:

In honor of {DD}'s birthday, we are hosting a fundraiser  in lieu of birthday gifts for {shelter}....

anotherhalf
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Love this!  And since some people get their panties in a bunch over the mere mention of gifts, even not wanting gifts, you could put hosting a fundraiser in lieu of a birthday party and not even mention gifts.

You must be so proud of her!

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Yes this.

Quoting Anonymous:

heldcaptiveby2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:01 AM
I would donate!
jennelise83
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:19 AM
Personally I would be led to spend/donate more money to a cause than to spend on a gift. I would also write a check payable to the shelter or bring items such as blankets/food because my cynical side would kick in.
Alicia_Griffin
by Alicia on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this
She seems wise beyond her years! Good job momma
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)