Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it not normal to tell other parents about your childs dietary restrictions?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

My family and I just moved to a new town. DD met a few girls at school who she wanted to have a sleepover with. Of course I agreeded and had them over. I contacted their parents and set it up. The girls arrived at 4:00pm on Friday. 

I talked with all but one girls mom before they left. (she just dropped her off and the girl rang the bell, the mom had already pulled away).

Anyway dinner comes around and I call them down for pizza.

Come to find out the girl is fucking vegan....

So I have your child until Saturday night and you dont tell me she's a vegan?! 

The girls are 6 years old. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Hell no.

Honestly that would probably be the last time I had that kid over for an extened period of time. I'm not changing my families whole diet for days on end to cater to one child.

anotherhalf
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Lol.  She can pull off the cheese.  

I wouldn't make her anything special but she could have whatever vegan thing I already had like fruits, salad, and crackers.

preacherskid
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:00 AM

I always tell people my children are lactose intolerant, explain what they can have without a lactase supplement, and when they need a lactase supplement first.  If I think it will be too complicated for the host, I send food that is okay.  I have also developed a habit of asking about dietary restrictions when having kids over-having to remember to tell people made me extra conscious of how often I am NOT asked, and how often I didn't ask.

t1gger143
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:01 AM
That's like letting my kid go somewhere that he will be eating blue berries. They turn him into the exorcist. Projectile blue vomiting. Special diets and allergies need to be shared.
Blooming_Lotus
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:04 AM
I feed my kids mostly vegan but when they spend the night I just tell the parents no milk. They shouldn't have dairy (they break out in a rash if they eat too much) but I'm not going to put others out when there is dairy baked into SO many things. Just don't give them obvious dairy products like a glass of milk, extra butter or cheese and it's cool.
SleuthMaria
by Love a tomb. on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Ok, at 6, I'd have definitely wanted to meet you first before allowing my child to stay the night at your house. I'd definitely tell anyone my child would be with for any length of time about any & all dietary restrictions. My oldest has a nut allergy. I tell everyone who might be giving him food about his allergy & make sure they know how to use an epipen, what symptoms mean he needs it, & that IF they need to use it, they also need to call an ambulance to take him to the ER for medical treatment. Even people who I've known longer than I've been married & KNOW about his allergies, still get reminded if he'll be eating at their home, or with them, without me, eating somewhere in public. 

JasonsMom2007
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:17 AM
My kids have so many dietary restrictions I just send their food with them.
JasonsMom2007
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:17 AM
My kids have so many dietary restrictions I just send their food with them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Agreeded?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:19 AM
I would have told you.Plus loaded my child's bag with food for her
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)