Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does this work? Have you tried it?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
Without bashing, I don't have insurance right now so I can't afford birth control, we use condoms occasionally but have used the pull out method for years with only one accident, I know the pull out method is not a safe way to prevent pregnancy, but it works for us.

However, I chart my periods and I know when I am ovulating. I have regular period cycles that are 28 to 30 days. I ovulate on schedule all the time. My question is this...

Does tracking your period and knowing when you ovulate and avoiding a intercourse a week around ovulation really keep you from getting pregnant? I did research and if you have sex 5 days before ovulation, there is a chance it can result in pregnancy. If an egg is not fertilized within 24 hours of release, the egg dies and travels onward to be expelled during your period. Does this mean if my husband and I have sex 5 days after ovulation until my period without using condoms or pull out method that the chance of pregnancy is none? Does anyone else use natural family planning? Does it work for you?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:55 AM

BUMP!

barneysaid
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM
Not anymore since I got pregnant with ds #2.
MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM
Yes be use that's how I get pregnant and don't get pregnant but my period is clockwork and this method only works if your period is regular. Technically women are one fertile 3 days per month!
princess_1983
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM

I have been on birth control for 5 years and have periods every month.

KanPsMommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM

It works if you're really intune with your body and your cycle really is on time every month. There are a lot of factors to consider though, stress, diet, weight gain or loss can all affect your cycle and throw it off putting you at risk of a pregnancy. 

I've heard that being extremely turned on can cause you to ovulate early as well. I have no idea if that's true or even possible, but that's also a risk with NFP birth control. It worked for years for me, then my period went all wonky. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Health clinics normally give free depo shots.
Or bc pills
SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM
It has worked for us for 5 years, and I'm not even all that diligent with it. We did have one oopsie, when I learned that some men have super-sperm that, combined with super-fertile CM, can actually live in the body for more like 7 days. I really didnt know what we did wrong until I read that. I miscarried that pregnancy though, and we've had no mistakes since (that was over 2 years ago).
Krysta784
by Dani on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM
It only works properly if you take your basal body temp everyday without fail and chart that to absolutely confirm ovulation as well as laying attention to other fertile signs.

Just because you have a regular cycle doesn't mean you ovulate mid cycle every cycle. There may be some months you don't ovulate at all and some where it comes a bit late or early.

The ONLY way to know FOR SURE you've ovulated is to temp. Period.

Well, unless you pay for a monthly sonogram of your ovaries to check but that's just silly unless you are ttc and have fertility issues.

JjcH0911
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:05 AM
I'm pregnant now, planned baby! But when hubby and I use the pull out method, I make sure he pulls out a good couple minutes before he cums, then I just finish him with head. So far knock on wood, it's worked. Usually I am on the pill though...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM
I really slack on temping, but I still have a really good idea of when I ovulate. I pay attention to CM and we don't have sex as long as it's eggwhite. The days surrounding ovulation, I am exhausted, hungry, and my nails look amazing (dead serious about that!). Very similar to pregnancy. I even have ovulatory pain one one or both sides. When the egg white mucus goes away, I give it another couple of days to be sure, and then we're safe. Been working for years, but maybe we're just lucky.

You're right though, you can only REALLY know for sure if you temp along with everything else. Especially when you're first starting out.

Quoting Krysta784: It only works properly if you take your basal body temp everyday without fail and chart that to absolutely confirm ovulation as well as laying attention to other fertile signs.

Just because you have a regular cycle doesn't mean you ovulate mid cycle every cycle. There may be some months you don't ovulate at all and some where it comes a bit late or early.

The ONLY way to know FOR SURE you've ovulated is to temp. Period.

Well, unless you pay for a monthly sonogram of your ovaries to check but that's just silly unless you are ttc and have fertility issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN