Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My group project member wants credit for work she didn't do

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 240 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm in a year long class that's a requirement to graduate with my degree (human resources). Our term project is a group report and presentation. It's worth 50% of our grade, and if you fail any component of the class, you fail the whole thing. The professor made everything due tomorrow at midnight, and we start weekly presentations after that.

My group was supposed to be 5 of us. Me and the 3 guys attempted to contact the one girl through email at least 3 times each to try to get her to meet up with us to divvy up the work. No answer. I found her on the class online roster and messaged her through that. Nothing. We eventually said screw it, forget her, and emailed the professor about it. We divided up the work from there.

Today in class, she came up to me (I have no idea how she knew who I was- looked me up on Facebook?) and said she'd be super busy lately with her kids and everything going on, so she hadn't made it to class or been keeping up with her email. I said sorry, but we'd told the professor she wasn't in touch, that we'd be a group of 4 and we'd already done all the work.

She teared up and said she can't fail this class because it would put her a year behind, could we please give her something to do. I said that everything was done, it would take her way longer than one day to redo someone else's work and all of our grades shouldn't suffer because she did last minute work. She said she'd email us all tonight and she did, asking us to please put her name on the project. One of the guys in my group already emailed all of us, except her, saying no way.

What do you think? What would you do? Part of me is disgusted she's asking for this, part of me feels a bit bad for her since I know what being a student mom is like. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maks1mommy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:11 AM
5 moms liked this

Dang, that's a tough one. I on't know what I would do, if she cried to me I probably would have given in though, I'm a huge push over.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:11 AM
23 moms liked this

Absolutely NOT. 

She should have done her fair share of the work. She gets NO credit at all

heydooney
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:11 AM
18 moms liked this
I was a student and a mom to a 2yo and a newborn. I got my stuff done and in on time with good grades. Have her appeal to the professor because if you've already told him she wasn't involved, putting her name on it will make YOU look shady. Maybe he'll take pity on her and assign makeup work, but even if he won't, it's not your problem.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:11 AM
2 moms liked this

She doesn't deserve credit for work she didn't do. She couldn't be bothered to answer your emails and now expects you to save her from her own failure to put in any effort? Sorry, no way. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:13 AM
Hell no. I am a single mom and in school fulltime and until recently was employed full time. I still got my work done.
cxoxo
by Savannahsmommy on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:14 AM
2 moms liked this

This! I'm sorry but there's no way I'd slap her name on it, and something tells me this probably isn't the first time she's done this.

Quoting Sassy762:

Absolutely NOT. 

She should have done her fair share of the work. She gets NO credit at all

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:15 AM
Hell no she should have done her share I had a partner like that too and I gave her a horrible grade
bellygirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:15 AM

NO EFFING WAY!!!  What the hell, who does that?  How could you have respect for yourself?  How would you explain that to your professor?  That's crap, she totally and completely dropped the ball.  She is an adult, not a child.  It's college, not high school.  Wow, I can't believe she had the nerve to even ask.  It's weird to have to say this about an adult, but um maybe she'll learn a lesson here.  

dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this

nope. plenty of single parents manage to make it work.

xoch86
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Negative that's all..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)