Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My group project member wants credit for work she didn't do

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm in a year long class that's a requirement to graduate with my degree (human resources). Our term project is a group report and presentation. It's worth 50% of our grade, and if you fail any component of the class, you fail the whole thing. The professor made everything due tomorrow at midnight, and we start weekly presentations after that.

My group was supposed to be 5 of us. Me and the 3 guys attempted to contact the one girl through email at least 3 times each to try to get her to meet up with us to divvy up the work. No answer. I found her on the class online roster and messaged her through that. Nothing. We eventually said screw it, forget her, and emailed the professor about it. We divided up the work from there.

Today in class, she came up to me (I have no idea how she knew who I was- looked me up on Facebook?) and said she'd be super busy lately with her kids and everything going on, so she hadn't made it to class or been keeping up with her email. I said sorry, but we'd told the professor she wasn't in touch, that we'd be a group of 4 and we'd already done all the work.

She teared up and said she can't fail this class because it would put her a year behind, could we please give her something to do. I said that everything was done, it would take her way longer than one day to redo someone else's work and all of our grades shouldn't suffer because she did last minute work. She said she'd email us all tonight and she did, asking us to please put her name on the project. One of the guys in my group already emailed all of us, except her, saying no way.

What do you think? What would you do? Part of me is disgusted she's asking for this, part of me feels a bit bad for her since I know what being a student mom is like. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Replies (11-20):
csxt99
by Jennifer on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Leave her out and proceed with the ofur of you who actually did the work.  For her, tough shit.  She should have shown up and did the work.

yummypeaches
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:20 AM

Not just no but HELL NO lol

She was so busy she couldn't respond to your repeated attempts to contact her months ago? Screw that, I was/am a full time student with a 6yo, newborn, and I work from home. I ALWAYS get the grade I deserve. Usually I get A's and B's but sometimes when life gets too busy I settle for a C.

She could have tried to work something out with you months ago but to expect you to just hand her a good grade on a silver platter with NO effort on her part........no. just no.

mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:20 AM
That would be a hell no. I'm a student and a mom to three I'd never expect that from a group project.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a big believer in making your choices and dealing with the fall out after. She choose to bail she choose to fail the class. I'm guessing this isn't the first time she's done this too.

KelticLady
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:27 AM
Nope! Sorry, but if you can't do the work you don't get a pass. Better luck next time! I can totally sympathize with her, but she made her choices. She was obviously too busy for the class.
Jasismommy
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:28 AM

I'm a student mom too but I do my work!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:28 AM
2 moms liked this
I would have wished her luck on her additional year of school.
Jenniy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:28 AM

NOPE!!!!!!!!!!

Jasismommy
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:29 AM

Quoting yummypeaches:

Not just no but HELL NO lol

She was so busy she couldn't respond to your repeated attempts to contact her months ago? Screw that, I was/am a full time student with a 6yo, newborn, and I work from home. I ALWAYS get the grade I deserve. Usually I get A's and B's but sometimes when life gets too busy I settle for a C.

She could have tried to work something out with you months ago but to expect you to just hand her a good grade on a silver platter with NO effort on her part........no. just no.

What do you do working at home? I also go to schoo tf and I work pt and have a 5 month old. I've been looking for online jobs. Do you have to be certified in specific things?

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:35 AM

Nope, she didn't even try to contact you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)