Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My group project member wants credit for work she didn't do

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm in a year long class that's a requirement to graduate with my degree (human resources). Our term project is a group report and presentation. It's worth 50% of our grade, and if you fail any component of the class, you fail the whole thing. The professor made everything due tomorrow at midnight, and we start weekly presentations after that.

My group was supposed to be 5 of us. Me and the 3 guys attempted to contact the one girl through email at least 3 times each to try to get her to meet up with us to divvy up the work. No answer. I found her on the class online roster and messaged her through that. Nothing. We eventually said screw it, forget her, and emailed the professor about it. We divided up the work from there.

Today in class, she came up to me (I have no idea how she knew who I was- looked me up on Facebook?) and said she'd be super busy lately with her kids and everything going on, so she hadn't made it to class or been keeping up with her email. I said sorry, but we'd told the professor she wasn't in touch, that we'd be a group of 4 and we'd already done all the work.

She teared up and said she can't fail this class because it would put her a year behind, could we please give her something to do. I said that everything was done, it would take her way longer than one day to redo someone else's work and all of our grades shouldn't suffer because she did last minute work. She said she'd email us all tonight and she did, asking us to please put her name on the project. One of the guys in my group already emailed all of us, except her, saying no way.

What do you think? What would you do? Part of me is disgusted she's asking for this, part of me feels a bit bad for her since I know what being a student mom is like. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:37 AM
I did it. Fulltime school (15 credits), 20 hr week internship, 30 hrs wk work and made it to every one of my sons activities. I also maintained a 4.0 GPA.

There's NO WAY I'd put her name on the project, she didn't do anything to deserve it.

She's making up excuses for not putting the effort needed to succeed in college.

Quoting dmarie2101:

nope. plenty of single parents manage to make it work.

yummypeaches
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:37 AM

I'm pretty much a virtual assistant, I guess you could call it.

I kind of fell into a unique opportunity.  A guy that my SO used to work with recently started his own nonprofit. He needed someone to help with the administrative piece. Since he knew I am going to school to get my associate's in administrative assistance he asked if I could help him with some of the computer work. I designed a trifold brochure for him and he loved it. Now I draft documents, design flyers and business cards, excel spreadsheets, anything that requires a computer pretty much. We meet  once a week and he gives me the projects he wants me to do. When I finish I just tell him how long it took me and he pays me 12.50 per hour. Sometimes I only get 5 hours a week, sometimes its 15. When I finish school later this year I'll have more time to devote to it.

Do you have any talents or skills you could market?

Quoting Jasismommy:

Quoting yummypeaches:

Not just no but HELL NO lol

She was so busy she couldn't respond to your repeated attempts to contact her months ago? Screw that, I was/am a full time student with a 6yo, newborn, and I work from home. I ALWAYS get the grade I deserve. Usually I get A's and B's but sometimes when life gets too busy I settle for a C.

She could have tried to work something out with you months ago but to expect you to just hand her a good grade on a silver platter with NO effort on her part........no. just no.

What do you do working at home? I also go to schoo tf and I work pt and have a 5 month old. I've been looking for online jobs. Do you have to be certified in specific things?

worwalkerlds
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:38 AM
That would all depend on how far into the project you guys have gotten and is there anything that she can do?
kameronsmommy08
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Hell no, can't do that in a real world job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:41 AM
Nope. Not even a dilemma for me.
pistolpink
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:47 AM
Hell no. It's her problem
MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 2:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm back in school and I have 4 kids. It's still up to me to do my work and communicate with those I'm involved with.

You can feel bad for her, it does suck, but she doesn't deserve credit. What a bummer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RadnRem
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 2:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Not a freaking chance.

I've been in her shoes.....still got my shit covered and made good grades.

She dropped the ball. Big time.
Toonkasmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 2:47 AM
Same here , fuck that.

Quoting Anonymous: Hell no. I am a single mom and in school fulltime and until recently was employed full time. I still got my work done.
kailu1835
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 2:51 AM

I don't care what her excuse is, she knew her limitations when she started the class, and her not doing any work is going to drag down the rest of the group.  If she cannot find a decent balance between her kids and her required course work, then perhaps she chose the wrong path.  I'm a mom of 3 and a student too, and I still manage to turn in all my homework, do all my projects, and pass every class with flying colors.  While homeschooling my oldest.  Yes, it is hard, and i have to sacrifice some things, but that is what you do when you have children and are trying to better yourself at the same time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)