Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My group project member wants credit for work she didn't do

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm in a year long class that's a requirement to graduate with my degree (human resources). Our term project is a group report and presentation. It's worth 50% of our grade, and if you fail any component of the class, you fail the whole thing. The professor made everything due tomorrow at midnight, and we start weekly presentations after that.

My group was supposed to be 5 of us. Me and the 3 guys attempted to contact the one girl through email at least 3 times each to try to get her to meet up with us to divvy up the work. No answer. I found her on the class online roster and messaged her through that. Nothing. We eventually said screw it, forget her, and emailed the professor about it. We divided up the work from there.

Today in class, she came up to me (I have no idea how she knew who I was- looked me up on Facebook?) and said she'd be super busy lately with her kids and everything going on, so she hadn't made it to class or been keeping up with her email. I said sorry, but we'd told the professor she wasn't in touch, that we'd be a group of 4 and we'd already done all the work.

She teared up and said she can't fail this class because it would put her a year behind, could we please give her something to do. I said that everything was done, it would take her way longer than one day to redo someone else's work and all of our grades shouldn't suffer because she did last minute work. She said she'd email us all tonight and she did, asking us to please put her name on the project. One of the guys in my group already emailed all of us, except her, saying no way.

What do you think? What would you do? Part of me is disgusted she's asking for this, part of me feels a bit bad for her since I know what being a student mom is like. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Replies (231-240):
siennasmamma
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Although I might feel a tiny bit of sympathy for her, I would not allow her to take any credit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 42 on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Nope, I wouldn't put her name on the project.  If she couldn't do her fair share of the work because of life's circumstances then she should have dropped out of the class.  Are you going to be there to do her work for her if she lands a job in HR?  I shouldn't want a lazy HR person working in my company, making every excuse in the book on why she couldn't do the job she was hired to do. 

This is coming from someone who was a student mom with a 4 year old and a colicky newborn.  I still managed to study and get my homework done.

marscella
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Absolutely not. I could MAYBE understand missing one or two of the first initial emails but not every single one.

As stated by several others, she is an ADULT. Plenty of hard working single mothers busy THEIR ASS to go back to school. If u did this for her, it would be like a slap in the face to mothers ( single or not) putting themselves through school.

Don't let her tears affect u. Unless a MAJOR TRAGEDY happened resulting in a death, I vote no F Ing Way!
Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM

There is absolutely no way in hell I would be letting her slap her name on the work other people worked hard to finish.

If she wanted the credit, well she should have done the work. I don't care about her circumstances. Everyone has some kind of a life and obligations or other, yet somehow other people did their work and she didn't. Shit out of luck, sister.

NEMommaOf3
by Give Thanks on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I was a  mom and student, also going through a divorce, and working full time 3rd shift I NEVER would have expected to show up last minute with some sob story asking to be included. Just because you have other stuff going on, is NOT an excuse to ignore your responsibilities. Her first step should have been to contact the professor and request an alternate assignment explaining that she was unable to fulfill the group requirements and it wasn't fair to hold the group back, but she also could not fail the course. I am sure the instructor would have worked with her.

tanishalargo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:39 AM
I was that person one time. I had the flu for a week and alone with my DD at home when she was 8 or so months. I talked with my group and they allowed me to read some things. We did a group evaluation at the end and I made sure to let my instructor know that I hadn't participated much in getting everything done. I felt horrible for letting my group down but I'm sure if they knew I had told the instructor they wouldn't be mad. I was able to do a solo presentation a week later so I could get full credit. :) anyways, she can let your instructor know.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 43 on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I'm a student mom and I hate it when people use that as an excuse to not get their work done. If you can't balance family and school you shouldn't be in school. I wouldn't put her name on it. She didn't do anything and since you already talked to your professor he might actually penalize the four of you for letting her take credit for something she didn't do. 

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:53 AM

you are being hornswaggled. you can't be so busy that you don't check your email or do any work in a class. she would have withdrawn if she couldn't do any of the work. Don't fall for her game. besides - she didn't do any work - she hasn't learned anything - she won't be qualified for the job. you would be hurting more than jsut yourselfby allowing her to go thru a class she hasn't done anything in. 

Dreamly
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM

That is hard. I would want to be kind and put her name on it, but it would have to be everyone in the group agreeing to that. That sucks for her, but sometimes life lessons are hard. 

Willow_Phoenix
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:33 PM

NOpe no way. She knew what was expect of her from thhe start. I am a mom and had two kids and had a group project too. The person I was partnered with was a single nonmom. I did the majority of work for hte project, she did the lay out wrong so I had to redo EVERYTHING she did do while juggling part time tutoring, 2 kids, and 2 other graduate classes. I wouldn't feel bad. Tell her to talk to the professor about make up work and if there is something else she can do but don't feel bad otherwise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)