Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My group project member wants credit for work she didn't do

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm in a year long class that's a requirement to graduate with my degree (human resources). Our term project is a group report and presentation. It's worth 50% of our grade, and if you fail any component of the class, you fail the whole thing. The professor made everything due tomorrow at midnight, and we start weekly presentations after that.

My group was supposed to be 5 of us. Me and the 3 guys attempted to contact the one girl through email at least 3 times each to try to get her to meet up with us to divvy up the work. No answer. I found her on the class online roster and messaged her through that. Nothing. We eventually said screw it, forget her, and emailed the professor about it. We divided up the work from there.

Today in class, she came up to me (I have no idea how she knew who I was- looked me up on Facebook?) and said she'd be super busy lately with her kids and everything going on, so she hadn't made it to class or been keeping up with her email. I said sorry, but we'd told the professor she wasn't in touch, that we'd be a group of 4 and we'd already done all the work.

She teared up and said she can't fail this class because it would put her a year behind, could we please give her something to do. I said that everything was done, it would take her way longer than one day to redo someone else's work and all of our grades shouldn't suffer because she did last minute work. She said she'd email us all tonight and she did, asking us to please put her name on the project. One of the guys in my group already emailed all of us, except her, saying no way.

What do you think? What would you do? Part of me is disgusted she's asking for this, part of me feels a bit bad for her since I know what being a student mom is like. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2014 at 2:53 AM
I. Agree with what you did. I find it disgusting she would use her kids as emotional pawns against you. Do your own damn work! This is coming from a full-time student, mom, and I have three part time jobs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:11 AM
Nope. Not even. I had two people do that to me when I first went back to school. We had to do a project on BP oil and two out of our 4 person group never bothered to return calls/texts/emails etc. so I and one other woman did it all, and our kids played together while we worked. When it came time to present everyone could tell they slapped something together at the last minute and it was shit. We'd already told the teacher they weren't responding so we were going to go ahead and do it just the two of us. They failed the course
4lilbundles
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:28 AM

Not a chance. There's plenty of parents in school who manage to take care of their children and get all their work done. If she had issues she should've contacted the teacher.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope. She probably uses that very same tactic to skate through other areas of her life too.

Besides, your instructor already knows the situation.
STVUstudent
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:08 AM

When I started grad school (seminary), our very first class involved a group project that was a major part of the grade.  We had a group of 5- me and this guy that I knew and three other women that I had never met before.  One gal in our group claimed to be a senior (no idea WHY she was in this intro level first year first term class if she was a senior), the rest of us were all newbies.  The project involved reading a book (a very painful book), writing a very long paper on it, and preparing a group presentation for the class.  One gal in the group wrote on an 8th grade level (maybe).  One gal had no idea how to write on a computer (she would hit "enter" every time she got to the end of the page), did not write in complete sentences OR paragraphs, and her reading comprehension was very poor.    The gal who claimed to be a senior decided that she didn't need to spend the money on the book- she could fake her way through it with stuff from her systematic theology class... so she didn't even read the book we were reporting on...  The guy in our group and I wrote pretty well, so the GROUP decided that he and I would write the paper (with their input) and THEY would do the group presentation (with OUR input).  We ended up with no input that was coherent or even indicative of their having read the material.  We banged out the paper anyway... the group presentation wound up being a series of disjointed and unexplained quotes from the book flashed up on a powerpoint, with NO explanation and with them offering NO discussion... we were mortified AND embarrassed... The teacher knew we had a dud group... by the time we presented, she had seen enough of all of our written work to "get" our styles.  the paper got an "A+", while the presentation got a "C-" and the teacher commented that group work IS indeed hard, but no one does ministry in a vacuum.  This was our intro to group projects.  I remember thinking that I could just not do three years of this nonsense (and avoided all the others except my guy friend on future group projects). 

Our final class, Senior Seminar, also involved a massive group project that was like half of our grade... and we ended up with a deadbeat who contributed nothing... he was "too busy" at his church to even write input for the final paper... one of the things that we had to do was "evaluate" the input of all the other group members... and while we were ALL very angry at having to carry this guy, most group members did not want to say, "Well, Gary did NOTHING as part of this group."  I know a couple of us did minimize his efforts in our evaluations...

All this to say, group projects suck... BUT... if this is a capstone class, this gal KNEW that she needed it, and it really was her responsibility to make sure she was in a position to do her share of the work.  The work is due tomorrow.  There is no way she can produce quality work that will not degrade the work you already did... she MAY be able to pull something together to help with the presentation, but then again, she MAY leave you all hanging...  AND... you already told the intructor that you all had been unable to reach her and that you were working as a group of 4.  So if you add her to the project, he/she will know that it is in name only and that you are giving her a free ride... do you think that won't affect his/her perception of your group integrity?  And... this is Human Resources... here you have a potential Human Resources rep who will get a pass solely because you all GAVE it to her...

I would tell the gal, "I am sorry, but all YEAR you have not found the time to get with us or even TALK to us about this project.  We are done with it, and we did ALL the work.  I know that you are willing to work NOW, but frankly, the work is done... and we have been working on it for quite some time.  I know what you WANT us to do, but ethically, I don't believe this is the right thing to do.  Perhaps the instructor will work with you to make this up, but we told him weeks ago that you were completely unresponsive.  Sorry."

Group projects SUCK.

STVUstudent
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:12 AM

oh, and the "I know what it's like being a student mom..."  she is using being a mom to excuse her non-performance... have you ever had folks like this in the work place?  they do it there too... there are plenty of student moms (and dads) who manage to keep up with their course work AND take care of their kids... and if this gal makes it into the workplace, she will STILL have kids, and they will STILL be taking up her time... and she will STILL be using them as an excuse for not doing her share... JUST SAY NO...

Tatiana7
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:14 AM

NOPE.

STVUstudent
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:17 AM

I had newborn twins, worked full time, and drove 2 hours to school once a week... and kept up with all my work and all my reading... screw that...

Quoting Toonkasmommy: Same here , fuck that.

Quoting Anonymous: Hell no. I am a single mom and in school fulltime and until recently was employed full time. I still got my work done.

TheSilence
by Remember Me on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:17 AM
No way! She was too busy to email you all back? Nope that is an excuse and she wants to get marks for doing no work! I hate people like that!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:20 AM
When I had that issue we just made him present it and have him credit. It was a bs assignment anyways. He has since repaid the debt.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)